X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WayneJ
    • Jan 2004
    • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

New item at H.F.

Item #96687. For those that would like to sharpen there table saw blades. It will work on 4 1/2 -15 3/4in blades. I ran across this this morning while stocking shelves. It uses a diamond wheel to grind them. Its a little pricey at $69 but looks pretty well made. I'm not recommending it but thought I would throw it out there for those who might be interested.
    Wayne
    Wayne J
  • bluzcat
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2003
    • Gosport, IN, USA.
    • BT-3100 & Jet Cabinet Saw

I looked at the product manual and it does seem like a decent machine. I have a 50 tooth Freud combo in my car right now that I need to drop off to get sharpened. The turn-around is kind of slow (2 weeks+), and I was just thinking to myself; there has got to be a way to sharpen blades at home (without buying a Belsaw!). When you consider the amount of money that is spent on other sharpening equipment (grinders, AO wheels, leather strops, water stones, honing jigs, lathe tool jigs, diamond files for router bits, the list goes on and on), $70 seems like a reasonable price to me (not to mention all those 15-20% off coupons). Granted, this argument all hinges on whether or not the sharpener works! I have a few Hitachi and Irwin blades laying around that I would like to try it out with.
    \"He who dies with the most clamps, WINS!\"

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

How difficult can sharpening really be? Scott Whittig (sharpening guy) and others at another site made it seem like they were splitting atoms.

I've been tempted to buy one.

Comment

• Zenaca
        Established Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Idaho

I just looked it up and it shows $59 in red !!!

That seems like a decent price to try it out.

Bud

Comment

• pacwind3
          Established Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Vancouver, WA
          • Bosch 4100

Has anybody given this thing a try? I'd be interested in one too if I knew it worked.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Kind of interesting....$60 on sale...15% off coupon....I doubt I'd test it on my Forrest or Infinity blades but I've got a couple I could practice on!

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• foneman
              Established Member
              • Jul 2003
              • kansas, USA.

Originally posted by Zenaca
              I just looked it up and it shows $59 in red !!!

That seems like a decent price to try it out.

Bud
              don't forget the 15% off coupon
              john

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

If someone gets this, please post a review. I am not sure I would want to use this on good (not meaning sharp) blades, without knowing how well it works. I think I could easily do more damage (rendering them more expensive to fix then replace).
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                  If someone gets this, please post a review. I am not sure I would want to use this on good (not meaning sharp) blades, without knowing how well it works. I think I could easily do more damage (rendering them more expensive to fix then replace).
                  I plan on trying one this weekend. I have a couple of blades (Diablos) that I would otherwise toss instead of sharpening. I'll let you know how it works.

Comment

• FEDSAWDAVE
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Tampa Bay, Fl.

"How difficult can sharpening really be?"

Well, considering some saw shops, ours included, employ a Walter triple axis CNC grinder, among other automated machines, at a price of $250,000.00, the word "difficult" does not apply.

However, how many of you want to sharpen a $70.00 blade on a $69.00 grinder? I'd just like to see the cut after sharpening on that contraption. After you use it, take a micrometer and tell me if the teeth are even. What grit is the diamond wheel? Is the diamond particulate bond on that wheel consistent? What's the speed of the wheel?

Now, if I was going to sharpen the "quality" of blade they show on that machine, yeah, I might use it for a quick fix. Not in my business of course.
                    WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

• WayneJ
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Knowing H.F. return policy, how could you go wrong? Try it on a soso blade and if its not to your liking return it. You have thirty days to try it out.
                      Wayne
                      Wayne J

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

Originally posted by FEDSAWDAVE
                        Well, considering some saw shops, ours included, employ a Walter triple axis CNC grinder, among other automated machines, at a price of $250,000.00, the word "difficult" does not apply.
                        The level of precision required in order to sharpen a blade should be easily attainable via a gadget like this HF unit. The only thing I'll give ya is that the diamond wheel may be subpar (and I don't know, I haven't tried one).

But heck, I was able to sharpen a blade using a home-made jig from a stick of 2x4 and I was able to successfully sharpen a blade. The only problem was that I was using a diamond plate and elbow greese and grew tired of the effort required.

I also sharpen (by hand) my router bits and was stunned when I recently purchased a new Whiteside bit to discover that my heavily-used, hand-sharpened bits were about as sharp as this brand new bit.

Comment

• FEDSAWDAVE
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Tampa Bay, Fl.

CG, with all due respect, I'm trying to keep from wetting myself, your post surely must be a spoof.

You're kidding, right??

https://www.federalsaw.com/Sharpenin...ice-c-353.html

No, I'm not soliciting sharpening. We have more than we can handle and we pass on HF "quality" tooling. It quite frankly damages $300.00 diamond wheels with all the cheap cobalt they throw in their "carbide."
                          WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

• Tom Slick
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                            • sears BT3 clone

I budget diamond wheel that size costs more then double the the cost of that "sharpener". I'd rather just own 2 blades and pay $12 for a pro to sharpen it. my hobby isn't saw sharpening.
                            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                              • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                              I budget diamond wheel that size costs more then double the the cost of that "sharpener". I'd rather just own 2 blades and pay $12 for a pro to sharpen it. my hobby isn't saw sharpening.
                              While the HF sharpener looks interesting, I agree with you. Every time I've looked into getting a diamond wheel the $300 price has always stopped me
                              Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

Working...