• Show
Clear All
  • rjwaldren
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Fresno, CA

HF 2.5HP router

Item number 37793.

Has anybody used this router. I don't expect rave reviews, but at 79.99 on sale less a 15% coupon, it's worth asking.

I'm looking for a router to permanently put into a table so I don't have to keep dropping my existing router out.
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

I personally would not buy a router from HF. That is one tool in my opinons that you don't want to skimp on. For not much more than that router, you should be able to find a decent name brand like Porter Cable. I have the PC 690 in my router table and it works well. If you look around you could probably find one for around $100.00 or so.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Since it is a plunge router and you need one for the table, look at past posts and check out the web. The Freud FT2200VCE (3 1/4 hp variable speed) is selling for around $130, and you would be happier with it.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• guycox
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Romulak, VA, USA.

I was on the computer way way too long today. When I read this post my first thought was "When did Harbor Freight start selling network hardware......"
        Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
        What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by rjwaldren
          Item number 37793.

Has anybody used this router. I don't expect rave reviews, but at 79.99 on sale less a 15% coupon, it's worth asking.

I'm looking for a router to permanently put into a table so I don't have to keep dropping my existing router out.
          I wouldn't. You can get a Freud or Hitachi 3 1\4 hp for around $50 more when on sale and you will probably never have to buy another one. The HF, who knows. Buy a good router, buy it once and don't look back. I have the Hitachi M12V2, paid $90 on Amazon and its a BEAST with a 5 year guarantee.
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's one HF tool I'd pass on. One of the worst tool reviews I've ever read from a major rag was on the HF router. It gets a fair share of negative comments from owners too. There are plenty of good choices at reasonable prices, even if it means dropping in power a bit.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Jnam
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2006

I bought one before when I didnt know much about good tools.

The HF 2.5hp plunge router I bought had a broken part, I took it back they gave me another one still had proken peices and in addition had a bent shaft, pretty much useless as a router. I chalked it up to experiance.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

I picked up a Hitachi KM12VC kit with fixed and plunge bases for around $125 on special at Amazon. It is currently $119 with free shipping. It would be a MUCH better router than what you are looking at from Harbor Freight. I have never thought much of most of their handheld power tools.

Occasionally you can catch the venerable old PC 690 on sale for under $90. I also picked up a Craftsman Professional fixed/plunge base combo a while back for $104. It is their red version of the blue Bosch 1617EVSPK. Keep your eyes open, the deals are out there to be had, and any of the name brands would be better than the HF.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• rjwaldren
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Fresno, CA

Good advice, I just went and looked. The plunge assembly on the display had a lot of play - probably enough to translate to 1/4" in all directions at the end of a bit. Pretty sad.

I was thinking short-term solution, that's not it.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Indianapolis, IN

The cheaper, shoddy quality, tools will cost you more in the long run. When buying tools that you will use often buy the best you can. If you buy that for $80, dislike it, end up buying a better router down the road and leave that in the case and never use it, have you really saved any money? Then you cannot end up re-couping any of your money when you go to get rid of it. A router like that I would not even go get if it were in the free section of craigslist.

If you need a router right now how about the two lowest end Craftsman routers? I have used the newest series of Craftsman and they are quite nice tools. They have a 1 3/4 HP plunge base for $70 on sale and a 2 HP fixed base for $80 on sale. Either of those would likely give you years of service and are much improved compared to the crappy lower-end routers Craftsman put out in recent history.

If I were in your shoes, and that is how I like to answer questions, I would pick up the 2HP fixed base for right now unless you absolutely need the plunge function at this point in time. Then later on down the road when you have more money in the tool budget pick up a 2 1/4HP fixed/plunge combo kit like the Hitachi or Craftsman. It is nice having two routers at your disposal so that later on down the road you could keep the fixed base set up with a roundover or other edge making bit ready to go or mount it in a router table, or, or, or......

Routers and clamps are two things you are not likely to have too many of while woodworking.
                    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• rjwaldren
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Fresno, CA

Agreed... The main holdup right now is we just finished Christmas with a 3 year old (very exciting for her) and my birthday and anniversary is right around the corner. So in addition to tight funds right now, my wife will strangle me if I buy my own b-day presents again. She did however, request a pretty impressive Amazon wish list from me along with orders not to open any delivery's through February.

Maybe, I should try to sneak it in there - I already have the 30pc Denali clamp set in the list.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Indianapolis, IN

Put an addendum in there for the Craftsman router of your choice. I understand the limited budget for tools. We all do. I would just rather you use your limited funds one time for a quality tool that will get years of use. Either of those Craftsman routers are the same price or less than the HF and of MUCH better quality.

Comment

• messmaker
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2004
                          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                          • Ridgid 2424

I just got one of the new Craftsman routers for Christmas. I have used it 3 times and it is my new favorite(I have 9).
                          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• rjwaldren
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Fresno, CA

Yes the newer craftsman lineup does look to be much better built than the plastic bodies of 3-4 years ago.

Comment

Working...