• Show
Clear All
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

Buying a drum sander.

I will be buying a drum sander soon. The problem is shipping to Alaska. I'm looking at the Accura 03525d but all I can find is people selling and not much for comments about use. The General 15-150m1 looks good as well. The steel City 55220 has got some good points as well. The performax 649004k is in the running as well. Now for the real question, the Woodmaster 3875 is a bit much for me but is only a few dollars more than the 2675.

I do small work as well as larger stuff. The 25" would do for most of the work but "what if" is killing me. I have doors to build for the shop and grauge cabinets still. I plan on building some furniture in the future and may need it for that as well. Right now it is mostly Knome doors, bird feeders and houses, squirrel houses and the such.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on any sander at this time. I'm looking for the questions I have not ask myself yet. Is the spring clamp issue such a big deal? Is open end or closed end a big deal. I do like the idea of getting more sanding area but do you give up precision. That is always an issue with me. Duh, I own not one but two BT3000.
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

I can't help with any of the models you listed. I have the Performax 16-32 and once adjusted I have no problems running wide pieces thru it.
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I also have the 16-32 and like it a lot. I've used a 22-44 quite a bit though. Nice drum sander, the base is all cast iron on that one, the 16-32 is a steel frame underneath. This has not been a problem for me in any way though. The 16-32 can run on a 15A circuit, the 22-44 should really be on a 20.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Last April I bought a Performax (now JET) 649005K, which is the closed-stand version of the 22-44 Plus. I've found no problems at all with the cantilevered drum design. Although I've not yet built anything wide enough to require two passes to use the 44" maximum width, it's nice to know the capacity is there if I need it.

I chose the closed-stand model because it has a fair amount of storage room inside it and was, at least at the time, only fifty bucks more than the open version. The built-in rollers are nice, too -- but note that they don't swivel. They're fine for pulling the machine straight out from a parking space against a wall, but not so hot if you'd need to roll the thing all around your shop.

Whatever make and model you choose, you'll love having a drum sander in your shop. Easily one of my best tool purchases, ever.
        Larry

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
          • Nov 2004
          • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
          • Delta Contractor Saw

I'll echo Larry on it being one of my best purchases, ever. I got my 16/32 because "I wanted" it not so much as needed it. I haven't done a project since getting it that it doesn't get used, a lot.

Comment

• garymuto
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Encinitas, CA
            • Delta Cabinet Saw

I recently purchased the Performax 649004K 22-44" Plus open end drum sander. I'm really happy with it. It's slow and definitely needs it's own 20 amp circuit. I went with Performax since it is a proven design and the only product with Sandsmart conveyer speed override control. The adjustment of the head rather than the conveyor is somewhat unique, but is well executed. It can take the shortest boards (4-5"?) and also has the largest width capacity in this class. I was on the fence between the 16-32" and 22-44" at first but the 22-44" has a bigger casting and motor, which made it well worth the extra $100. Rockler seems to be the most competitive. I got one for $900 + tax when they had 10% off in November. They had 10% off last April and November. If you are not in rush, it could save you $100.

My only complaint is that the infeed/outfeed tables should be included. They seem pricey at $80-90, but you need them as much as the dust collection.

Comment

Working...