Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Chainsaw Chains

Well I learned something new.

My dad and I dropped a tree that was threatening the cul-de-sac and a power line. Some big branches fell earlier this week in the wind. His saw has always seemed to cut faster than mine. Both are Stihls, and my saw seems to cut slower than the smaller Homelite I used when I was a teen. I took my chains in when we broke for lunch Saturday and the guy at the counter says 'These the stock chains?' I say one is, one I bought. He says they are sharp but 'problem is you got some p---y chains'.

Turns out the way they do anti-kickback is to limit the depth each tooth can cut, which means you cut slower. So I bought a real chain (that came with a foldout telling you 18 different ways that you'd cut your leg off if you used it). The difference in the afternoon was night and day.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Tamarack
    Established Member
    • Oct 2003
    • Speedwell, TN USA
    • BT3100

Those old chains will work much better if you give about three strokes with a file to the tops of the rakers.

Paul

Comment

Working...