• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Can I find 1-1/2" (I.D.) hose at BORG?

Is 1-1/2" hose (inside diameter) commonly used for anything that I may be able to find at Home Depot or Lowes? It is the perfect size for one of my small tools. I suppose I could wander up and down the isles looking for hoses, and measuring, but I wouldn't mind cutting the search time if possible.

The smoother the interior wall the better, I guess.

I found some stuff I can order from Shop Vac and a few others, but it isn't cheap and by the time you add shipping gets up to $40 to $50 (and I only need about five feet).
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Whenever I have needed some hose to attach to some dust port on some tool I have usually been able to go to HD or Lowes and match it up with something from the "hoses per foot" department. Sometimes, it has been rubber, sometimes, it has been vinyl, other times it has been plastic. Sometimes it has been thick, other times thin. There is no rhyme or reason to it, but there always seems to be something there to rig with. They also sell those stepped rubber adapters in the shop vac area, but those danged things are so expensive that you'd think they were made of platinum.
    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 12-15-2007, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Slik Geek
      • Dec 2006
      • Lake County, Illinois
      • Ryobi BT-3000

I've used www.mcmaster.com for tubing needs where I haven't found what I needed at the local stores. For example, I needed 1-1/2" ID hose for my Makita SCMS dust port so I could tie it into my dust collection system. I used 5915T14 High-Flow Blended Polypropylene/Rubber Duct Hose ($3.46/foot). (They sell it in 5 foot increments of length). Works great for my miter saw.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Another option that is used for short runs and elbows in the RAS world, is to use a radiator hose.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by Slik Geek
          I've used www.mcmaster.com for tubing needs where I haven't found what I needed at the local stores. For example, I needed 1-1/2" ID hose for my Makita SCMS dust port so I could tie it into my dust collection system. I used 5915T14 High-Flow Blended Polypropylene/Rubber Duct Hose ($3.46/foot). (They sell it in 5 foot increments of length). Works great for my miter saw.
          Thanks for the tip. I was looking at McMaster and did find some stuff that I could order, but thought I'd check the stores tomorrow because I need a few things anyhow.

But now that you mention it, the McMaster site says the 5915T14 compresses to 42% of the extended length. Has that been your experience? I use my shop vac with lots of static pressure which causes compressible stuff to sorta whip when I turn the vac on.

McMaster has some other stuff (5200K32) that seems more like conventional shop vac hose (doesn't compress). It is $2.08 per foot, so I'm guessing I'm just going to end-up ordering that on Monday. But the high-flow stuff you mention did catch my attention. The higher the flow the better, especially when we're already restricted to 1.5".

Comment

• messmaker
            Veteran Member
            • May 2004
            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
            • Ridgid 2424

I think you can get pool-vac hose in 1 1/2. It is usually good stufff and should work well for your application. It does not come cheap though.
            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
              • Aug 2007
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • BT-3000, 21829

FWIW, I keep an eye out at garage sales and thrift stores for vac hoses and accessories. I like to re-purpose stuff (aka "scrounge"). This also means I've got a ton of stuff around.

But, there are moments of victory. Like the time our the power switch on our 12 year old vacuum cleaner failed. A quick trip to the shop found a drop-in replacement. LOML was only somewhat impressed.

She'd really rather have a new vac (and me to have a tidier shop).
              You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
              of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Slik Geek
                • Dec 2006
                • Lake County, Illinois
                • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by cgallery
                the McMaster site says the 5915T14 compresses to 42% of the extended length. Has that been your experience? I use my shop vac with lots of static pressure which causes compressible stuff to sorta whip when I turn the vac on.
                I just tried compressing it manually. My basement shop is at about 50 degrees F at the moment, so the tubing is probably a bit stiffer than it would be in warm temperatures... but it hardly compressed. Unless you are using this tubing at extreme vacuums (ie not for dust collection) and at very warm temperatures, I don't think you are going to have any significant movement in use. The tubing is actually moderately stiff - that "excellent crush resistance" they speak of means that the tubing is rather "stout" - plastic, not like rubber.

Originally posted by cgallery
                McMaster has some other stuff (5200K32) that seems more like conventional shop vac hose (doesn't compress). But the high-flow stuff you mention did catch my attention. The higher the flow the better, especially when we're already restricted to 1.5".
                That's precisely why I paid a few bucks more and got the smooth interior tubing. No complaints here, I've used the tubing for two years on my miter saw.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • SoCal, USA
                  • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

http://www.powrflite.com/istore/part...asp?dept=20081

My brother has a carpet cleaning business and has given me some of these hoses, the hose for extaction machines is like pool cleaning hose,smooth interior and removeable cuffs, crush proof, heavy duty, not at all like shop vac hose.
                  Request a cat. as their web site is not good. Hose is ID measured.
                  Andrew

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Oh, here is the follow-up.

I found 1-1/2" I.D. pool hose at Home Depot. A 5' section cost me something like $13. I was able to put one end over a Porter Cable #39335 hose adapter (to connect with my 2-1/4" collection "network"), and the other end fit directly over the port of my bandsaw.

Things being good enough, I nonetheless ordered two pieces of 5' hose form McMaster. One of them was the Slik-Geek suggested High-Flow hose, the other a crush-proof hose.

The High-Flow hose has a rubber hose with a plastic ribbing on the outside of the hose. It has a nice balance of flexibility and strength. However, the rubber is kinda hard to push onto the Porter Cable adapter or the bandsaw. The rubber is kinda grabby.

The crushproof stuff was too inflexible and clunky, and didn't warrant further consideration.

So in the end, I'm using the Home Depot stuff and I'm pretty happy with it. Due to the somewhat restricted ends (1" I.D.) on the 1.25" hose I had been using previously, the new hose is really nearly two-fold greater in cross-section. Airflow is improved. This helps with dust extraction and allows my little cyclone thingy to perform better separation than it had been able to with the previous bandsaw hose.

Comment

Working...