• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Ever clean your ROS

Well, today I had a sanding job to do,took out my PC333 ROS, looked at it and decided a cleaning is necessary. Got a screwdriver with a star bit and took it apart(except the motor section). Wow! I was surprise to find so much caked-up saw dust inside. A small flat screwdriver for scraper, an old tooth brush and shopvac was all I need to get it breathing again.
    Shame on me.
    Just a reminder to take of our tools and keep them happy as they keep us happy.

Howie
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Rarely take the pad off my PC332 except to switch to a H&L pad for polishing pads. I blow it out throughly when I do and normally blow it out as best I can nearly everytime I put it away.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

quite a bit of stuff builds up in a sander. it's almost surprising they stay running.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

ever clean your ros

Yep, sure do....every time I'm through using it...it gets a good cleaning before
        storing it away for the next time. Don't like and never did like using dirty tools to start a new job, old habits die hard I guess! eezlock

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • IL, USA.
          • DELTA 36-675

My ROS is connected to a shop vac so I just normally use compress air to take some dust off of the exterior surface of the ROS. I don't think I've ever taken the darn thing apart to clean it. Im afraid I might not be able to put it properly back together
          Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• JeffG78
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
            • BT3100

I took my DeWalt DW421 ROS apart about a month ago and gave it a good cleaning. When I put it back together, I gave the three pad screws what I thought was the proper torque, but yesterday while I was sanding my current project, the sander's tone suddenly changed. I shut it off and found that the pad was loose. I pulled the paper and removed the three screws only to find that the aluminum retainer holes were stripped and the H&L pad was ruined. I don't know if the screws were under tightened, overtightened, or if the pad just gave out, but my trusty ROS is now out of commission. I can order the parts from DeWalt for about $26, but I'm not sure if it's worth putting money into a five year old sander. Also, I'm still in the middle of my project, so I don't really want to wait weeks for the parts to arrive. I called the local service center, but they didn't have anything in stock. I might be in the market for a new ROS now.

The moral of this story is that if you plan on taking your ROS apart to clean it, be sure to properly tighten all the fasteners and recheck them after a bit of use. Mine went over a month after my cleaning before it vibrated itself to death. I still don't think it was anything I did wrong, but I will never know. The pad design is not very robust and I can see where the screws could pull through the rubber pad over time.

Comment

• vanguard
              Established Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Brighton, MI, USA.
              • Ridgid TS2400SL

Can you redrill and tap the screw holes? With an aluminum pad even a cheap tap should work.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                • BT3100

use compressed air to blow it out after every use. wait a minute, i mean before it goes into the box, which would could mean more than one use .

Comment

• JeffG78
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by vanguard
                  Can you redrill and tap the screw holes? With an aluminum pad even a cheap tap should work.
                  I went to HD today and found a replacement H&L sanding pad. The old pad's holes had ovalled. The stripped part is the aluminum retainer that is connected to the shaft. I bought larger machine screws and will attempt to drill and tap the the stripped part. It was a poor design that only has a few threads in a blind hole with very little extra material to make the hole much larger in diameter. I think I can save it, but if not, I'll order a new retainer for $4 plus $8 shipping

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

How much was the new pad? I am running low on PSA paper and want to convert my PC332 to H&L.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• JeffG78
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                      How much was the new pad? I am running low on PSA paper and want to convert my PC332 to H&L.
                      The DeWalt H&L pad was $18 at HD.

Comment

• mater
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • SC, USA.

I use an air hose to clean mine after using it. I don't take it apart to clean it.
                        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• supper shaun
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
                          My ROS is connected to a shop vac so I just normally use compress air to take some dust off of the exterior surface of the ROS. I don't think I've ever taken the darn thing apart to clean it. Im afraid I might not be able to put it properly back together
                          Hey - I've been meaning to ask about this for a while. How do you connect the shop vac and the ROS? I have the standard ridgid with a 2 1/2" exhaust and the P&C ROS 343VSK.

I bought this http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125 but I couldn't get it to work. Did I have the right attachment and am just stupid? I would love any suggestions.

Thanks
                          Shaun

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

Shaun,

I think this is just what the doctor ordered

Its from Amazon, here's the UR:

"Western civilization didn't make all men equal,