X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Holbren
    • Oct 2004
    • Heathrow, FL.

Blades for Craftsman 10" BS

After seeing the sale here I told my friend about that 10" band saw deal and he picked one up. He asked me to ask you folks if you knew a good place to buy the 3/16" 70-1/2" blades for it. He'll buy the Sears ones if he has to but prefers a better blade.

What does everyone with that saw use?
    Last edited by Holbren; 11-30-2007, 03:53 PM.
    Brian
    Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    www.holbren.com
  • jrnewhall
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Rochester, NY.
    • Ryobi 3100

Originally posted by Holbren
    After seeing the sale here I told my friend about that 10" band saw deal and he picked on up. He asked me to ask you folks if you knew a good place to buy the 3/16" 70-1/2" blades for it. He'll buy the Sears ones if he has to but prefers a better blade.

What does everyone with that saw use?
    I bought the Sears 3 pack for mine. They were worthless. Call Suffolk and get Timberwolfs. They're not expensive and it allowed my little saw to cut through 3 1/2 inches of maple last weekend with no problem. I haven't tried the 1/2" yet but will in 4+" QS white oak in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know.

~JRN

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Iturra Design in Jacksonville. Have every kind of blade imaginable, use the same blade stock as the high-dollar blades, and make better welds. They have not finished their website, but their number is 1-888-722-7078. I have never talked to more knowledgeable folks.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Brian - I got Timberwolf blades for my 12" from Suffolk. At that time they had a "443" deal for new customers. They ask alot of questions about your saw and what you plan to cut, then make a recommendation on 4 blades for the price of 3....it was ~ $50 shipped including sales tax for custom length 89-1/2" blades.

http://suffolkmachinery.com/
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Holbren
          • Oct 2004
          • Heathrow, FL.

Thanks Guys. I told him to call Suffolk but I think he's looking for a quick fix and trying to find it in stock somewhere. I don't know why I didn't think of Iturra but that is a good idea being he's local because shipping would be next day.
          Brian
          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          www.holbren.com

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Figures, they close at 5 on Friday and I couldn't call in time. Anyone know the ballpark on a 1/4" or 3/8" blade? Does Woodcraft carry any of this size? This weekend I need my BS to work on a project and I would really like a new blade...
            Joe

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

I looked for blades for that saw before I stepped up to a 14" and the only place that stocked that size was Sears. Tough it out with what you have for now and order some Timberwolfs.
              Suffolk usually ships the same or next day by USPS Express.
              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

If you can weld/braze blades yourself, the 72 inch Olson blades at Woodcraft and Rockler work well. I cut them on either side of the original weld, about half an inch either side of it. Then I re-weld them. This works MUCH better than the Sears blades - they suck. My next blades will come from Iturra though.

Woodcraft sells a simple to use blade weld kit too if you really have to have blades right now. You'll need a butane lighter, or the little Harbor Freight micro-butane torch which is what I use. Welding the blades is actually quite simple and is a useful skill to have in case you bust a blade while sawing or tensioning the bandsaw.

mpc

Comment

Working...