• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luckbox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Holly Springs, NC

Drill Press

Well seeing that Sears has cancelled my drill press order I am in the market for a drill press. I currently have a bench top drill press but looking for something bigger. I was wonder which way to go. The ridgid looks nice and so does the craftsman, but since the sears issue not in a rush to buy anything from them in the near future. I also like the look of the Delta and Jet. Price is a major factor, but I still want a good solid machine that I wont need to upgrade in the future. Would like to be able to add the mortising attachment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I love lamp.
  • jdschulteis
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Ridgid and I'm happy with it. I have no experience with other drill presses for comparison, but the Ridgid seems well-regarded in terms of a decent drill press for the money: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...editor&id=5948
    Jerry

Comment

• dabeeler
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006

I have been considering the Delta model with the table that tilts both side to side and front to back. I have also been looking at the Steel City DP and am thinking the long spindle travel might outweigh the Delta table.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

The duel tilt is pretty useful if you are going to be making chairs. I can imagine that it could add a bit more headache when setting up the DP, as you have to ensure that you are square to the bit in both planes.

I ordered the 16.5" delta myself, I do like the jet quill stop better though.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...