• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davedbear
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2003
    • IL, USA.

Jointer purchase advice

Delta is offering a $100 rebate on their X5 6" jointer, regular price $579.00 @ Woodcraft.
    I've been good all year, and the boss has green-lighted this for my Christmas present.
    I was ready to buy the X5, but then I got the November Woodcraft in today's mail -- they have the Rikon 6" jointer on sale for $399.99 ($100 off reg. price) with a mail-in for a free set of replacement blades.
    I've heard Rikon makes quality tools, so now I don't know. The Delta is about $80 more after rebate, and no replacement knives, but . . . I'm inclined to buy the Delta (still made in America, right?).
    I bought my BT3100 based on BT3Central opinions, so I'm looking for more helpful advice.
    Thanks.
    davedbear
    davedbear
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I don't have a Rikon jointer (I'm waiting for the upcoming 8" model), but I have been very satisfied with my Rikon bandsaw (thanks again gwyneth). I can suggest, however, that my understanding of the 6" Rikon jointers is that the deluxe model is much nicer than the standard.

Comment

• davedbear
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2003
      • IL, USA.

Yes, it's the Deluxe model

Woodcraft is offering the deluxe Rikon 6" jointer for $399.99.
      Model # 20-110.
      It looks like a nice machine.
      davedbear

Comment

• compgodjds
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2006

I bought the non deluxe version of thr rikon from woodcraft no less. I havn't used it yet. Hopefully this weekend. Woodcraft only had the floor model so I had to take that one or wait 1-3 months (that is what they quoted me) for a new one. I set up the jointer and got the blades leveled up with the outfeed table and went to setup the infeed table for thickness and pop and the infeed table went to its lowest position and wouldn't move. I called up Rikon and they thought it was the ball crank on the infeed table broke they sent me a new and I got it maybe 7 days late I believe. The technical support was great. Took me all afternoon to install the part and I called them and they told me hout to get everything apart to replace it.

Now I don't think it was a bad part on Rikon's part i beleive that woodcraft didn't do a good job putting it together and people probably were playing with it in the shop and weakened the part.

I would not reccomend getting a floor model. Also I would recommend getting the deluxe over the standard model unless you really are strapped for cash. The deluxe has a head lock making it easier to work on the cutter heads whereas the std model does not. Also if you have issues call them don't email them. They weren't that fast getting back to me on email.

Comment

• eddy merckx
          Established Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Western WA
          • Shop Fox Cabinet

I'm inclined to buy the Delta (still made in America, right?).
          Pretty sure the Delta is made in Asia Davedbear. I think that you'll find that nearly all hobbyist tools are now. Both of those jointers have the same length tables and pretty comparable features. The Rikon does give you a bigger motor and that cool cutterhead lock. Extra blades too? That's the direction I'd go unless you don't like green.

Eddy

Comment

• Red88chevy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Midland, Texas.

Agree with Eddy, think the Rikon looks like a good deal! And the Rikon has adjustment wheels, believe the Delta X5 uses levers (atleast 1) that generally aren't as well liked as the wheels.

Comment

• HarmsWay
              • Nov 2003
              • Victoria, BC
              • BT3000

I thought the X5 was still made in the US but they don't say so on their website but maybe not. I have the pre 'X' version of it. Very nice jointer but I've never used any other so I can't compare. A very solid mobile is required. Mine came with the Delta one built for it.

Comment

• davedbear
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2003
                • IL, USA.

Delta X5 6" jointer is made in China

I emailed Delta, and they responded that their 6" jointer is made in China.
                So, being made domestically is no longer a point in Delta's favor -- at least for this piece.
                I'll go to Woodcraft and look over both jointers again. The Rikon looks like the winner right now - I'll put the $80 difference (and the $$ saved with the free set of replacement knives) into the fund for my next major tool purchase.
                Thanks, everybody, for your input. This is a great site.
                davedbear
                davedbear

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

None of the X5 series is made in the US. The only advantage to the X5 series is the 5 year warranty versus regular 1 year of Delta.

Rikon makes excellent tools. I have heard that the "deluxe" jointer is much better but quite frankly I have not looked at the specs of either model.

The Delta X5 will command more $ when you upgrade to a 8" or 12" jointer after you get tired of the 6".

Pretty much a toss up.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • SoCal, USA
                    • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I have a 6" Ridgid which is as good as any 6" I have used, paid $200 for the grey display, about 7 years ago. I would not buy one now less than 8" actually. Grizz has good sale on their jointers , Nov. Wood Mag ad I think.
                    Andrew

Comment

Working...