• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

A GOOD Estate Auction

Went to an estate auction today that was combined from 2 estates. ALL tools or hardware type items. Came away with a few items.

6 Quick Grips (4-12" and 2-18") $20

Electric sheet metal shear/nibbler(Old B&D) $20

HF small metal cut-off saw $7.50

4x36 3M belts (2-120grit and 2-80grit) $5

Box of misc. lathe chisels (Mostly Craftsman) $20

Type 19 #3 slightly used with the box $40

Set of 3 profile scrapers (New in box) $22.50

Seargent rabbet plane in fair condition $17.50

Craftsman over the fence push block $2

All deals I was happy about but, except for the clamps, nothing worthy of calling a gloat.

One last item was a "Gotta-Have-It-Just-'Cause" deals! (Item B)

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=246
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

That one set me back another $12.50.

GLOAT!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy
      That one set me back another $12.50.

GLOAT!

Well you got a Bruzz. Never too old for one of those. Actually you be surprised how much you'll use it now that you have one. I used to use a little corner tool from my carving set, until I scored a a few Bruzz's at a garage sale. They take a little care in sharpening to get 'em right. Worth all the trouble.

I'd be interested on your working impressions once you get to puttin' it to the wood.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
        Well you got a Bruzz. Never too old for one of those. Actually you be surprised how much you'll use it now that you have one. I used to use a little corner tool from my carving set, until I scored a a few Bruzz's at a garage sale. They take a little care in sharpening to get 'em right. Worth all the trouble.

I'd be interested on your working impressions once you get to puttin' it to the wood.

Been watching for the A. Bruzz (B might be too big for some projects, so I think A would be more useful to me). Any tips on sharpening this?

And by the way Pappy, you suck!
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Nice haul, Don!

You're wonderful, charming, handsome man, whom women and chilren both love, but for different reasons. Can I have the rabbet plane?

JR
          JR

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by JR
            Nice haul, Don!

You're wonderful, charming, handsome man, whom women and chilren both love, but for different reasons. Can I have the rabbet plane?

JR
            Nice try, JR, but no! That one is heading to the playpen as a user. Now if there were enough $$$ attached to your question......

Anything I have is for sale except the wife, kids, grandkids, and my trucks. (I'll take serious offers on the wife and kids.)
            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              Been watching for the A. Bruzz (B might be too big for some projects, so I think A would be more useful to me). Any tips on sharpening this?
              That was what I was thinking, too. If I find I don't use it, I think I can turn enough profit on E-Bay to buy the smaller Bruzz. The corner chisels I have seen didn't really impress me all that much.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal

These particular chisels are unique in that they represent a cutting edge that would be similar to two chisels put together as one. They basically have to be sharpened like two chisels, but the edges remain as perfect to each other as possible.

The backs can be flattened as a single chisel is dressed. For the bevel, it's critical to have a straight edge on each leg, that meets without burs or recesses, including high or low spots. They require a constant in process inspection to insure that the leading edges are in line, and the bevel is the same.

I don't use the term "scary sharp" for a good cutting edge. Sharp is sharp. Actually "scary sharp" to me is one that lacks sufficient edge to afford effortless paring. I'm the candidate that gets cut by a dull tool. To me that's "scary".

Since the angle of bevel and degree of abrasion is the determining factor on a good edge, I use these hand hones to carefully dress the bevel. I also use small stones that are 1" x 3" in different grits. Silicone carbide (wet-or-dry) paper can be cut and glued to a variety of substrates for dressing up to any grit. Not to sound like I've lost all my marbles (only a few), not all sharpening can be done on a full size stone, diamond honing block, or silicone carbide paper on a flat surface. I've used glued up popsicle sticks to a thickness that can be held comfortably, the same with tongue depressors. There is other media that works good as a substrate, such as Plexiglas, Corian, or even bar stocks like aluminum, can be shaped for the specific procedure. I use a variety of combinations for all of my cutting tools that work well with carving tools, turning tools, chisels, slicks, right up to hatchet edges.

For the corner chisels, a flat straight edge is needed where the abrading material is along the edge. The bevel has to be clean from the inside corner to the outside edges. The edges can be checked for uniformity visually, or using modeling clay as a smooth surface and lightly depressing the edge may reveal small serrations not really visible to the eye.

Strops can be made the same way by adhering leather to a small flat rigid handpiece as is done with the sandpaper. I've gotten very used to using a corner chisel instead of a single straight chisel for those times when a 90 deg has to be kept. It is easy to over or under cut a corner if it is deep or you don't have a good visual working angle. I don't find them too large or cumbersome, and in fact with the lengths judging paring is easier for me without having to get a feel for the cut, and cutting from two sides.

Comment

Working...