• Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Rousseau 3002 vs Jess Em 2302

Rousseau 3002 vs Jess Em 2302

would appreciate help choosing between these two for use either with Bosch 1617 or Dewalt 618 (have not decided yet). Both can be had for 45% off right now on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...772358-7276433
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Hopefully somebody else can back me up on this because what I'm about to say is strictly from observation and assumption.

That said, I would go with the Jessem. IINM, the Jessem plates match woodpecker and somebody else (can't think of it right now), so if you need to move the lift or want another plate for a fixed base you'll have plenty of options. I *think* that the Rosseau plate is it's own layout and doesn't match any of the other players out there.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in here, because this has been rather confusing to me for quite some time.
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Thom your observations and assumptions are dead on. As you know I have the Rousseau, the JessEm and the Bench Dog. Here is the break down . . .

The Rousseau 3002 and JessEm 2302 are identical except the Rousseau plate is larger. Rousseau lift is made by Jessem. This information is proudly displayed on the bottom of the lift. “Made by Jessem in Canada for Rousseau”. Rousseau definitively does not match anyone elses plates. Bench Dog does not match others (though Jessem does make a smaller plate sized lift for Bench Dog).

Jessem is definitely more popular so should you need another plate it may be easier to come by. Having said that, Rousseau tends to be carried by more of the big box stores so you are likely to find them on clearance some day. I don't think either of these attributes are huge selling points.

You could flip a coin on this . . .

Comment

• DonHo
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
        • Craftsman 21829

I can't compare the two but I can comment on the Rousseau. I have the Rousseau and like it a lot. I'm sure the other lift is good also and maybe the more "standard" plate size would be a good idea. The larger plate hasn't caused any problems for me. The reason I went with the Rousseau was price(special on Amazon a while back) but I only have good things to say about it.
        DonHo
        Don

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Just noted that the Rousseau is in stock and the JessEm isn't. Soooo if its a burning issue for ya . . .

Comment

• Hoover
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • USA.

The sad part there isn't a router plate standard size. I own a Woodpecker router table top, and one made by Scotty Don't. They are both the same size. If I plan to add any more, I just rather use the Woodpecker sized opening. Rousseau has a 9 x 12, and I believe Rocker has several sized plates.
            It makes it difficult to take advantage of some deals out there, because of the nonstandardization.
            No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Well to be honest I don't see a huge advantage to being able to switch plates. Maybe its just me . . .

I guess one could have a single router table or router table opening and switch lifts or switch between l plates. If I was tight on space I'd build a router table like Thoms with two plates thus no switching. If I were an idiot like myself and tight on space but just a plain old idiot I would mount lifts in every flat surface in the shop! LOL!

Comment

• davidtu
                • Apr 2006
                • Seattle, WA
                • BT3100

thanks for replies so far. Let me throw one more into the mix... what about this Jet Xacta Lift compared to the others?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...937908-6958520

I'm not so interested in the pricepoint comparison by the way, just functionally.
                Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by davidtu
                  thanks for replies so far. Let me throw one more into the mix... what about this Jet Xacta Lift compared to the others?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...937908-6958520

I'm not so interested in the pricepoint comparison by the way, just functionally.
                  Pretty much every conversation we have had about the Jet Xacta lift applies. Just reference those old threads.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • IL, USA.
                    • DELTA 36-675

Got both and I like both. Only complain I have is the plates are not of the same size. I wish they were the same so I can use them both on one table.
                    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

Working...