• Show
Clear All
  • gatordogs2
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007
    • So.Florida
    • 22114 soon

Which TS do you recommend?

Newbie woodworker here. Already bought a SCMS and now I'm in the market for a TS with a budget of ~$350.

I can get the the BT3100 clone, Craftsman 21829 for $329. Or is this Delta 36-979 for $300 on Amazon better?

Or do you have a better recommendation in this price range?

Thanks,
    Barry
    What if there is no tomorrow?....there wasn't one today!

-Barry
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Have you noticed that that Delta does not include a fence system? You'll spend more than the $29 difference putting a fence on that one. If you could find one of the $80 Biesmeyer fences at Lowe's you'd have a great package, but you'd also be at least $30 over your $350 maximum.

This web site was founded on the premise that the Ryobi BT3x00 is as good or better than most of the 1-1/2HP contractor-type saws out there. I never bought fully into that, preferring to think of my BT as merely different rather than better, but all the old points still apply. Many BT owners think the sliding miter table is the saw's main strength, but many others found it finicky and/or bemoaned the lack of a normal miter gauge slot. Others point to the high-quality fence, or the depth of cut that is deeper than even most cabinet saws (3-9/16" vs 3-1/8", if I remember the dimensions correctly). And etc.

I think the bottom line is what it always was: if your budget is firm, you still won't do any better than the BT3x00/21829 unless you buy a used contractor-type saw.
    Last edited by LarryG; 09-04-2007, 12:52 PM.
    Larry

Comment

• gatordogs2
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2007
      • So.Florida
      • 22114 soon

Update: My neighbor just bought a Beismeyer Fence at Lowes for $80 and he's not going to use it. Therefore I can pickup the Delta 36-979 with the 36" Beismeyer or the Craftsman 21829 (BT3100) for roughly the same money.

I don't know anything about either so I'm basing this decision on recommendations. This forum loves the BT3100 but users seem to talk about upgrading to a contractor saw.
      What if there is no tomorrow?....there wasn't one today!

-Barry

Comment

• Sawduster
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

bemoaned the lack of a normal miter gauge slot.

Do need to add that an optional miter slot table is available for the BT. I recently traded up to a 3 HP cabinet saw after about 7 years of using my BT3000 with only a single shim replacement. If I had room in my shop I woulda kept the BT for a dedicated crosscut saw.

Only benefit I can come up with for the Delta over the BT is that the Delta has an induction motor while the BT has a universal one. The induction motor is a little more efficient so developes a bit more power and runs quieter.

The cross cutting setup on the BT is much more accurate (if set up and maintained properly) than the 100 year old or better technology of the miter gauge which was basically an add-on to a machine designed for making rip cuts. All the old timers hated rip cutting by hand so the machine was a boon to them. The crosscut tech came about later.

The rails for the rip fence (as well as the sliding miter table) can be moved to extend the rip capacity beyond that of the normal table saw, and even further with a pair of extension rails added.

With contractor saws as well as cabinet saws one must adjust the table reference to the blade in order to get the blade parallel to the miter slots. Contractor saws have the trunions, the mechanism holding the blade and motor etc, attached to the table itself requiring you to climb up underneath, loosen the mounting bolts and move the whole heavy mechanism around to line it up. Cabinet saws have the trunnions attached to the cabinet so it is easier to adjust by moving the table reference the cabinet. The BT miter set-up rides on the the rip fence rails and is adjustable much more easily. The optional miter track table is adjustable to the table and frame set-up via a couple of bolts on top of the hole thing making it a snap to adjust.

If you're gonna be heavy handed and slam things around, get the contractor model but if you want a space age instrument of very fine cutting ability, then the BT is what you want.
        Last edited by Sawduster; 09-04-2007, 01:14 PM.
        Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
        ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• ssmith1627
          • Dec 2005
          • Corryton, TN, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

I just sold my BT and picked up the Delta you mention. Only been a month but I'm happy with it and the Bies fence system I got on clearance at Lowes.

I agree with Larry though -- my setup was not just a few dollars more than the Sears version of the BT. I was just ready for a saw with a cast iron top so I gathered up (i.e. begged for) some gift cards and sold my BT to put the money together.

There are lots of options out there. There are Delta and other models with and without cast iron wings so there may be some savings there. You can also check on Craigslist for used saws -- you may find a deal there if you wait and watch for the right one.

Good luck.

Steve

Comment

• williwatt
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Springfield, TN
            • Sears 21829

[QUOTE=gatordogs2;294162]Update: My neighbor just bought a Beismeyer Fence at Lowes for $80 and he's not going to use it. Therefore I can pickup the Delta 36-979 with the 36" Beismeyer or the Craftsman 21829 (BT3100) for roughly the same money.

You also need to remember that there is a $149 shipping charge on the Delta saw whereas there is no shipping on the 21829.

Comment

• Cheeky
              • Nov 2006
              • westchester cty, new york
              • Ridgid TS2400LS

[QUOTE=williwatt;294187]
              Originally posted by gatordogs2
              Update: My neighbor just bought a Beismeyer Fence at Lowes for $80 and he's not going to use it. Therefore I can pickup the Delta 36-979 with the 36" Beismeyer or the Craftsman 21829 (BT3100) for roughly the same money.

You also need to remember that there is a $149 shipping charge on the Delta saw whereas there is no shipping on the 21829.
              i just added it to my cart, and it credits you the $149 for shipping. make sure you select free super saver shipping.
              Pete

Comment

• CManinLa
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2007
                • Covington, La.
                • Craftsman 315.218290 (Portable)

Gator, I bought the Craftsman last month about the same time I bought the SCMS (remember, I bought the Makita & you bought another brand). It was on sale for 349.00 & with the Craftsman Club discount, it was 314.00. If I would have been better informed about Family & Friends the night before, I could have saved another 10%.

I have not used it much yet, but I like it so far. One big reason for my decision was the portability. Both my TS & SCMS fold up & can be stored nicely in my garage.

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

I'd probably go with the delta, just for that fence, but the BT has one magical component not mentioned above, a riving knife. Best safety feature there is on a TS I think..

When I moved to my PM2000, it got the nod mainly due to the RK
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

I would suspect you would be happy with the Delta or the Jet. They both have great reputations. I would not get too broken up on the Delta's fence. The one on the Jet is just fine. Everytime I clean the shop, I wish I had better dust collection. That could be very important. The Craftsman saw is more of a gamble. You will either love it or hate it. Only you can make that call.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• ssmith1627
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Corryton, TN, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

The Sears version of the BT has several different features so it makes it hard for a BT3100 owner to evaluate. It has a flat top I believe instead of the corrugated top of the BT. I never liked that corrugated top because I never felt like I could get the throat plate adjusted properly to be flush with the top.

I've been very happy with the Delta. I don't see it as any more powerful but the top is flat, I can adjust the throat plates to be perfectly flush with the top, the fence is incredibly solid and I don't have the issues with the fence raising up or tilting when I try to lock it in place.

It's like any other tool though -- totally subjective. I guess that's why we have so many varieties to choose from.

The riving knife is a huge point through. That should be standard on every saw. It's very strange for it to be there on the BT and then not on other saws until you get up to the dollar range of the Powermatic as mentioned above.

Steve

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

A RK is to be required on all new saws in the US next year, I believe. Until it's required, the big tool manufacturers have been reluctant to go to the expense of changing their designs. You'll notice that newly announced products all have RKs.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• ssmith1627
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Corryton, TN, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

That really is good news. At least, for anyone who didn't JUST buy a new saw a month ago !

Steve

Comment

Working...