Are these Milwaukee router bits for real?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Are these Milwaukee router bits for real?

Being temporarily jointer-less (one of these years I'll either move mine from Maryland or get another) I wanted to add some longer bits to my already swollen collection of straight bits.

The longest cutting areas I've seen have been 2" until today on Amazon I noticed that there are several Milwaukee bits that seem to exceed that.

First, this two flute bit, described as 3/8" x 2 7/8" x 1/2" inch shank:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-2...452768&sr=1-50

Then I noticed this, described as 1/2" x 4 1/8" x 1/2" shank:
    http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-2...452768&sr=1-51

Well, that seemed crazy, although probably not a typo because several other Milwaukee two flute bits also appeared to be 4+ inches . So I ordered the first one.

A little later it occurred to me that since the pictures don't show a cross-section diagram and the description didn't actually say that was the cutting length it was possible that the first bit's total length (shank plus cutting area) was 2 7/8". So I ordered the second one.

Here's a single flute Milwaukee straight bit that also seems to exceed four inches:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-2...452525&sr=1-85

So what I'm wondering, of course, is whether they're really selling a bit with a 4" + cutting length, and if so, who uses it for what.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Yeah, that's for real. And the $9.86 price on Amazon is a really good one. Not only that, but Milwaukee sells an even longer bit: The 48-23-7144, at 4-3/8", is yet another 1/4" bigger, although I don't think Amazon carries it.

Now the bad news: I have a 3" straight bit, and find that it bogs down in denser wood, even with a 3-1/2hp router. I have to really slow down the feed rate (yes, the flutes are sharp), so I can imagine you'll have similar limitations with a longer bit as well. Also, like other straight (non-spiral) bits, even though it's got a plunge profile, it's better suited for edge cutting, as it cannot clear chips fast enough to do cuts that are not through-cut. I mostly use mine to even up edges on multiple pieces all at once.

Comment

• eddy merckx
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Western WA
      • Shop Fox Cabinet

I once bought a PC 1/2" bit with a 4" cutter for making through mortises in the edge of 2 x 4s for a work bench. It was pretty difficult to keep the sides of the mortises staight and I would use a different approach now. What the bit was really good for was routing a recess is the side of the workbench top for a vice to fit flush.

Keep in mind that a bit that long won't retract under the router base. If you are going to use it for a plunge cut, you have to either shim the base up to get started or use a shorter bit to start the cut.

Eddy

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

I think these would really shine on a cnc based router for doing things like cutting out guitar blanks. You need quite a bit of cutting depth to get through to the bottom, but it is not really intended to be used to cut it all at one time.
        I suppose they could be used as a jointer for the edge of stock too. As long as the cuts were very minimal. It is a monster bit though.
        Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

They also work great in a shaper with a power feed.

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Thanks for the responses.

I personally can't imagine using the 4+ one in a handheld router under any circumstances (with the possible exception of fighting off a chainsaw killer).

As I have mentioned, I am not a big person and just too much can go wrong with that much carbide spinning around in the air. I am already prone to occasionally looking down at the router when I am about to start an operation, thinking of my femoral artery, and moving everything to the router table.

I'm not even sure about using it for jointing, but if I did it would be to remove only about 1/32" or so at a time. However, it sounds as if the other one would be plenty long for that.

If I ever used the 2+ one in a handheld operation, it probably wouldn't be for plunging. Again, too easy for something to go wrong with my low, low center of gravity.

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

They arrived today.

It's a good thing I ordered the longer one--because, despite the fact that the actual cutting lengths are printed on the box and the overall lengths are not, the measurements in the Amazon listings have no relationship to anything.

They're not even the overall lengths!

The so-called 2 7/8" one has a cutting length of 1 1/4", and overall length of 3 1/8".

The allegedly 4 1/8" one has a cutting length of 2" and overall length of 3 7/8".

At first, I thought they'd sent the shorter one by mistake instead of the 4 1/8" one. But I checked and double-checked the model no. on the package, the shipping slip, and the listing.

I'm going to write a paper letter to Milwaukee because I can't imagine successfully explaining this problem to Amazon...yeah, they'd probably refund the nine bucks for the shorter one but the listings would continue to be completely inaccurate.

BTW, they were made in Italy, so the "real" measurements appear to be 8 and 10 cm, overall.

Comment

Working...