• Show
Clear All
  • nickg
    Established Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Marietta, Georgia
    • Ryobi BT3000

Band Saw "Tires"

Has anyone ever replaced a set of band saw "tires"? Easy? Difficult? Any "tricks" to the process? A friend of mine just bought a used BS, and might need to replace the tires.

Nick
    Last edited by nickg; 08-27-2007, 11:47 AM.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

It's not too difficult, Nick. Soak the new tires in hot water and start installing immediately. Use spring clamps to hold the tire in place as you go around the wheel. The last part can be tight to get over the edge. Make certain to get the correct width. A lot of replacement tires are 1" wide, while some BS's like the HF have wheels that are, IIRC, 7/8" wide. I personally prefer the blue Carter tires, they are a few $$$ more but worth it. Woodline is my preferred vendor for Carter products.

Comment

• mater
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • SC, USA.

I also replaced mine with the urethane tires. It only took a few minutes.
      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• ExYankee
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pleasant View, Tn.
        • BT3100-frankensaw

I replaced mine with the orange urethane, I don't recall it being much of a job
        \http://cgi.ebay.com/2-new-14-Urethan....c50.m20.l1116
        John Dyer
        ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Sometimes you'll find the tires have been glued onto the wheels. That can be a bit of a PITA.

Comment

• padboy
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2005
            • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

Band Saw Tires

I replaced the tires on my ancient Craftsman(King-Seeley) bandsaw with tires I made from slices of an old truck tire inner tube. No problems and they have been on for about 22 years.

Comment

• Duff
              Established Member
              • Apr 2007
              • San Antonio, TX
              • Enco 12" RT

after removing the original/installed tires, clean the daylights out of the wheels and while your doing this, soak the new ones in hot, hot soapy water. . .dawn or whatever. Put your adheasive onto the wheels and then the tires. . .line them up and call it good. . .The soapy makes it slippery and the hot softens it up for a little extra stretch...
              Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

Working...