• Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Opinions on Plane Irons?

I've decided to re-iron a couple of my bench planes. Given the prices are nearly the same, I was wondering if any of the plane-a-holics that hang out here have opinions of the Lie-Nielsen irons and breakers vs. the Hocks. How about carbon steel vs. A2 treated? (I know the CS holds a finer edge, but the A2 stays sharp longer.) I don't want to be stoning 'n stropping every 5 minutes, but I do like those purty see-through curls , and I'd like the iron to be sharp when I pick it up, if that's the way I left it. OK guys, let's have it, and thanks in advance...
  • Sawduster
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

I've only ever used one aftermarket plane iron, and that is a Hock. The LNs are a bit rich for my blood. The Hock is a carbon steel iron and has served me well. My experience with A2 is with my Veritas planes and they do hold an edge a bit longer, but by the same token, they take a little longer to sharpen.

I've found that sharpening more often saves sharpening time. If you wait till the edge is pretty far gone, you'll have to take longer to sharpen and you will already have suffered working with an edge that doesn't give you the best performance. Depending on the wood and what I am doing I may be sharpening at a point when I only need to renew the edge on my 8K grit stone, but most often I go to my 1200 till I feel a wire edge form on the back side, then straight to the 8K, skipping the 4K.
    Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• BrazosJake
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Benbrook, TX.
      • Emerson-built Craftsman

I just bought a Hock A2 for my block plane, so I'll let you know.

I see the A2 vs O1 debate frequently over on Sawmill creek, and it appears to be about an even split. A2 is harder to sharpen, but holds its edge longer. Thats the only real difference between the two, they are both capable of attaining the same sharpness and finish.

Will probably use my Woodcraft $15 off coupon later this month for a Hock 2" iron & chipbreaker.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

My only experience is with a Hock A2 and the stock blade that came on a
        Vintage Stanley I have. I can get both razor sharp but the Hock keeps its
        edge so much longer. It is substantially thicker than the Stanley blade, too.

Paul

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

My understanding was that the carbon steel blades could actually be honed to a keener edge than the A2, because the grains were much smaller. Anybody with both notice a difference?

Comment

• BrazosJake
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Benbrook, TX.
            • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            My only experience is with a Hock A2 and the stock blade that came on a
            Vintage Stanley I have. I can get both razor sharp but the Hock keeps its
            edge so much longer. It is substantially thicker than the Stanley blade, too.

Paul
            Paul,

How is it in actual use? Does the thicker blade cut better/smoother? Are you using the original, or Hock chipbreaker?

Comment

Working...