Outfeed Table / Cabinet

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ssmith1627
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 704
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #1

    Outfeed Table / Cabinet

    Bottom four pictures -- making progress:

    http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v...lbum01&page=12

    Roughly following plans in a recent ShopNotes, I put together a little cabinet to support an outfeed table. Pretty happy with it so far. Used a stop block to cut the dados to give clearance for miter gauge or sled type runners and I'm happy with how that came out. Still a lot of work to be done with trim and such. I made it from birch plywood instead of MDF so I'm using poplar and half-lap joints for the trim pieces to cover up the plywood edges.

    With the setup I have in the shop now, I can afford this large outfeed table. It's on levelers so I can get it pretty close to flush with the saw top. I chamfered the leading edge to help. There's a cutout for clearance around the blade guard. I stuck the cutout piece back in there for show but I'll cut another that is a tighter fit later with a chamfered edge and a finger hole for removal. I drilled a few holes on the horizontal part of the back rail and screwed on a cleat. On the bottom side of the top there's a matching cleat that locks the top to the saw and holds it at just the right height.

    The top is just two layers of melamine. Instead of bringing both layers up to the edge of the saw, I just cut about 9 inches off the bottom layer. I also cut a little half moon in the bottom layer to make clearance for the saw motor when the saw is set to a 45 degree angle.

    Like I said, lots more to do to complete it all but it sure is nice to have this in place. It's long enough and wide enough to either rip or crosscut a sheet of plywood, using my workbench as infeed support.

    Steve
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • 1407
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

    #2
    Very nice addition. I recently purchased a used contractors saw and this seems like a very nice set up.
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

    My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

    Comment

    • footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • 1759
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

      #3
      wow, your shop looks clean! cant show that picture to my wife, otherwise i will be in trouble

      i was looking at the other pictures and saw the shelf that you added under the table saw. is that solid 3" of wood? is that maple? if its soild wood, it may weigh a ton! looks cool.

      regards,
      _________________________
      omar

      Comment

      • ssmith1627
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 704
        • Corryton, TN, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

        #4
        I have you fooled if you think MY shop is clean ! haha Cmon over. You'll see the truth really quickly.

        The shelf is half lapped 2x4's laying flat -- so 1 1/2" thick -- and then a layer of 3/4" plywood on top and trimmed out with maple. It gave me the additional height I needed to get the saw top just above my jointer. Also gets the saw top at the same height as my workbench which I use for infeed support.

        Now I just have to get a router table / cabinet built for the right side of the saw, get some dust collection stuff in place and I'm back in business. Maybe a month from now I can start on my foster son's dresser ! haha

        Steve

        Comment

        Working...