• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rh111
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • KS, USA.

Ladders - It some sort of tool

I am looking for a new ladder so that I can do the unthinkable thing of painting my house. Though I have a 6' step ladder, I need something longer. Have been looking at the Werner brand MT series. The one similar to the Little Giant, but a fraction of the price tag. Any inputs or suggestion to this ladder or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    It's all good till it's no good any more.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

I bought my Werner MT26 via Ebay last year. Paid less then my family (dad, brother, brother in law) did getting their 17' Little Giant ladders (LG). This year at Sam's, they were doing a demo of LG (have done it a few times), I picked up their demo plank (I have to paint to ), ordered the wheel kit that they now have (it still heavy though less weight then LG's 26' version), and their step platform. I also got a leg leveler, but that was through my fathers work (damaged freight place). I tend to prefer the LG acessories, as they are cheaper and more available, and in the case of the platform, you can use your hinges that come with the Werner, OR the platform (Werners platform won't allow that).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

The wife surprised me with a Li'l Giant for Christmas a year ago and I wish that she hadn't. It was too much money and similar ladders are available for less. Yes, it does all the tricks but most of them I won't need. My other argument is that as 5' ladder it's a heavy beast. My back is toast and this definitely puts astrain on it. All that said, it's as stead as a rock and very safe with solid locking pins that would only fail under the weight of a tank. In the final analysis, I'm just cheap *and* weak!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Gorliia ladder equivalent from Home Depot (the one a bit under 20') and it's been nice. Since I don't have a large vehicle, it let me easily get a long ladder home. I can get on all the roofs I neeed to with it, I can even make my garage roof with it as a stepladder. Definately a good buy.

Jim

Comment

• jon_ramp
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • western Chicago burb
          • Craftsman 21829

I recently purchased the Gorilla 21 multi-position ladder at Home Depot. Similar to the Little Giant/Werner MT and I've been happy with it. For me it is primarily an indoor ladder, great on stairs. It would be much heavier and harder to position than a standard extension ladder of the same length.

I personally would opt for a standard extension ladder for exterior use. Also, consider how high you need to go, even Werner's tallest multi position ladder wouldn't safely get me to the highest point I had to paint on my house.

Comment

• stormdog74
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Sacramento, CA
            • Ridgid TS3650

I've had this one for a few years and like it:

http://www.amazon.com/ClimbTek-300-P...7122158&sr=8-1

And I have done a LOT of painting on it - in fact, I am painting with it now (well, not at this minute!). I particularlay like the platforms you can buy for it - very solid.

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

There is a costco brand one too.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Originally posted by jon_ramp

I personally would opt for a standard extension ladder for exterior use. Also, consider how high you need to go, even Werner's tallest multi position ladder wouldn't safely get me to the highest point I had to paint on my house.
                Very good point. The tallest would reach as close to the peak of my roof as I need to go. I can use it as an a frame for gutter work, which allows me to get up their easier (power line to street runs beside the house, not safe with a normal ladder), but I pay for it, if using it in a smaller capacity (weight, verses storage space for number of ladders).
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

I have the Werner and love it. Used it to paint 3 properties that are all 3 stories (would not reach the highest parts, and had to use a 40' for those). One of the best things is the ease of adjusting up and down.

The real reason I purchased it however is that when folded up, I can move it pretty easily in my SUV to the various properties, without having to put it on the roof. Also find it very useful on stairs when paint the walls and ceilings.
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• jseklund
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2006

I have the Cosco (I think) brand ladder that is similar to the LG. I bought one for my dad for Christmas at Sam's Club for $100. 8 months later, my parents got me one for my birthday. For $100- this thing cannot be beat. I have noticed they sell them at Wal-Mart now too for about $110.

I have looked at the Werner at HD, and I don't like the finish on it as much- you can see the weld for the rungs, and the Cosco at least has plastic over the ends so it looks safer- but it's just an illusion I know.

I have used this ladder for a ton of things- and it ALMOST allowed me to put christmas lights up last christmas on the 2600 Sq. Ft. Colonial I am living in. The roof line is probably about 24 feet off the ground and I got up to the second floor and tried using an extension pole- but it didn't work. But I think it attests to the versatility that it ALMOST did this on a tall house, but can be folded up and put in the back seat of my Bonneville with ease. Even my dad's 6' step ladder won't fit in my backseat (of course).

The downside, as everyone says, is that the bugger ways about 45 pounds. To me it's not unreasonable. I actually like it as it makes the ladder incredibly stable- I am not one for climbing ladders and this thing is easy and feels very safe. My dad, however, is 58 and has failing knees. He tries to avoid lugging it out whenever possible and opts for his 6' step ladder (which probably weighs 12 pounds give or take) whenever possible. I am 27, not in very good shape for a 27 y/o and can carry the ladder with one arm up and down stairs when it's folded. However, even though my dad hates the weight, there are times when this ladder is necessary for a job he's looking to do- and he seems to like having it.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase. Go with the least expensive model you are comfortable with.
                    F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• jAngiel
                      • Oct 2003
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I too have the 17' Costco version from Sam's for $99. Well worth it! The quality of the LG one MAY be better but I would never pay that much for a ladder. The quality of the Costco one in good IMO, I haven't found anything at all to complain about. I would like to have some of the accessories though.
                      James

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        Very good point. The tallest would reach as close to the peak of my roof as I need to go. I can use it as an a frame for gutter work, which allows me to get up their easier (power line to street runs beside the house, not safe with a normal ladder), but I pay for it, if using it in a smaller capacity (weight, verses storage space for number of ladders).
                        Third vote for standard extension ladder for this application.

I personally use a Gorilla 21 when I have to go out into the field and get on a roof.

Comment

• geopilot
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Lexington, KY, USA.

Before you buy the Werner MT ladder, check your Home Depot for a 17 ft. Gorilla ladder. This is a special deal that includes the stabilizer bar and platform/ tool tray accessories. Price is $129 and mine was up front with the clearance stuff, although it had a normal white price sticker on it.
                          I used a Lowes 10% coupon to bring it down to $116.
                          Nice ladder!
                          dave

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Werner MT, and I highly recommend it. My father in law has the LG, and I think it still wins when it comes to accessories, but you save a bundle going with on of the knock-offs. They seem just as well made. (They're not technically knock-offs, I guess, because LG's patent expired.)
                            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • SoCal, USA
                              • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

The Gorilla step is good , very heavy gauge steel and fits all 3 brands. I bought it at HD but I do not see it anymore. I have a 17' cosco , older model, made in Korea, and a Warner MT-26. The construction on the hinges is heavy duty for sure and the rungs are rivited, no plastic end caps but I do not consider that a negative. The warner also lockes closed which I like.
                              LG is infomercial tool,says it all, noway is it worth the money.
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...