• Show
Clear All
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Chisel Bevel Angle?

I normally hone my bench chisels to 30 degrees. I broke out a new set of Irwin Marple's yesterday to do the initial honing and noticed they said to go to 25 degrees. O.K., so maybe it's not a big deal since research shows the recommended angle is between 25 and 30.
    However since I found the cracked 13mm in the set I went to Irwins site and there they said to hone to 30 degrees. (I'm starting to get a little annoyed at Irwin anyway).

Sooo, to what angle do you folks go with, disregarding any micro-bevel you may use.
  • dedaddy
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Dallastown, PA, USA.
    • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

Chisle Angle

Ken, I went to a class on hand tools and we sharpened a lot of chisels. Use a 30 deg angle for heavy chopping like clearing out a mortice and 25 deg for light paring. The 30 deg is stronger and is less likely to break the edge. 25 deg edge is weaker but slices with less effort.
    Lee
    =============
    I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• BrazosJake
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Benbrook, TX.
      • Emerson-built Craftsman

Yep, 30 for heavy work like chopping motises and/or chisels that will be used exclusively on hardwood. Softer woods actually need a better edge and slightly more severe angle.

25 is pretty much the norm for bevel-edge bench chisels. True paring chisels have a 20-degree bevel (no malleting or prying with those!).

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by dedaddy
        Ken, I went to a class on hand tools and we sharpened a lot of chisels. Use a 30 deg angle for heavy chopping like clearing out a mortice and 25 deg for light paring. The 30 deg is stronger and is less likely to break the edge. 25 deg edge is weaker but slices with less effort.
        I played around with some of dedaddys planes and boy how! This fellow knows how to sharpen a darn stick of steel!

Comment

Working...