• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

23 guage pinner recommendations?

Ok, I need input on what pinner to buy. My wife special ordered a Bostich from Lowes for my Bday present, but its unavailable right now, or on backorder for 3 weeks or something. Anyway, they will refund her the $ if she wants. I didn't really do any research on these, but saw an ad for the Bostich which would shoot up to 1 3/8", which seemed good to me, and told her it would be a good idea for my Bday so she ordered it. Opinions? Should I just wait, or order something online, and what brands do you all recommend.

Thanks,
    Todd
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

I have the pin nailer below and has worked pretty well. No complains.

Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

I bought the HF unit. Unlike the HF framing nailer which I have gotten much satisfaction from I do not like the HF pinner. I have tried all PSI settings in the range, etc. Does ok on Poplar and softer, but harder woods are terrible.

Grex appears to be the industry leader.

Comment

• final_t
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003

I have the Bostich, and use it a LOT, more than I thought I ever would. So much so that now I'm seriously considering selling mine and stepping up to the Grex.
        IIRC the recent magazine review of the pinners gave the Bostich high marks and the only strike they gave it is a lack of a soft nose piece.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

Grex or Nickle are the two that consistantly on top. friends of mine in the building trades also rank those two as "best".
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
            I bought the HF unit. Unlike the HF framing nailer which I have gotten much satisfaction from I do not like the HF pinner. I have tried all PSI settings in the range, etc. Does ok on Poplar and softer, but harder woods are terrible.

Grex appears to be the industry leader.
            Wow I liked it so much I bought a second one when it was on sale for $15. I use mine on all types of hard wood and it works great.
            John Hunter

Comment

• Tequila
              • Aug 2004
              • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I've had luck with the PC pin nailer, mostly working with oak and maple. It's also been great for pinning together small moulding pieces like a chair rail return.

I do believe that some others can handle slightly longer pins, but that hasn't been an issue for me yet.
              -Joe

Comment

• hermit
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Somerset, PA, USA.

Thanks for all the responses. Here's what I've decided on. First, I ruled out the PC cause it only will take up to 1". The Bostich seems to get mixed reviews. So, I decided to the Grex P635. It is in Woodcrafts flyer for $199 ($198 at Amazon), but you get a $25 gift card with purchase bringing the price down to $175. LOML had $155 invested at Lowes, so it works out to about a $20 difference for top of the line.

Thanks again,
                Todd

Comment

Working...