• Show
Clear All
  • blame
    Established Member
    • May 2007
    • Northern MO
    • delta ts-220 or something like that

diy planer stand

ok well i'm waiting on parts for my table saw to arrive i thought i would work on another project i have been thinking about. my delta tp300 planner needed its own place in the shop.

so i built a rolling frame out of some extra angle iron i had left over from the tablesaw project (dont worry i still have plenty left for the tablesaw project)

i also had a 6' long x 16"wide pcs of 1 1/4" mdf my FIL gave me abunch awile back
    so i now have a sturdy place for my planner

what i need help with is coming up with some idea on infeed and outfeed tables that are adjustable so i can remove the factory tables that are causing the planner to snipe the work pcs. i hate wasting 4" of wood everytime i run something thru it.

i have abunch of 1" rollers i want to mount to the tables and i think i better add 2 more uprights for a total of 4 upright per side. also i would like to add storage underneath it. and a hard wood apron around it too.

so what do you guys think ?

blame
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blame; 07-30-2007, 08:48 PM.
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

cool! definately need to add a couple more vertical supports to ensure that the table doesnt deflect at all otherwise you wont get a truely flat board if you use this setup to take out warps like an article in fww mag.

wow! its nice to see that you started all these things at once. i wish i had the time to finish my table that i started like months ago. its been on a stand still for the last four months or so!

keep building while the energy last! good luck

Comment

• blame
      Established Member
      • May 2007
      • Northern MO

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
      cool! definately need to add a couple more vertical supports to ensure that the table doesnt deflect at all otherwise you wont get a truely flat board if you use this setup to take out warps like an article in fww mag.

wow! its nice to see that you started all these things at once. i wish i had the time to finish my table that i started like months ago. its been on a stand still for the last four months or so!

keep building while the energy last! good luck
      yeah i was thinking of adding drawers but now i'm thinking shelves would do me fine and add alot of space for storage for differnt stuff like tools/cased,off cuts and scraps and other junk i cant live without.

funny you should say that now i'll get busy with other stuff and never get to finish them LOL J/k , sorry to hear you havent had time to get you table done but i'm sure you will wishing you the best of luck

well to be honest i hope my energy last for a few more years i have 3 kids oldest is 6 and youngest is 16 months and there all going to want a piece of dad before its said and done they are pretty hornary all ready lol
      later blame

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Great idea for the planer table. I'm interested in seeing how you make the feed support tables adjustable.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• jseklund
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006

Nice job on the table. This would be kind of a crude solution- but what about taking a second board of either metal, MDF, etc- and putting 4 carriage bolts through that and the table (long ones). Between the table top and the second top, put two nuts and another nut under the table top. The nut directly below and above the table top could hold the bolts in place, the third nut on the very top could be used to raise/lower the planer platform. Hope I'm explaining myself clearly. It would be crude, but could work.

The other option is- why make the infeed/outfeed adjustable? Maybe you can make the planer itself go up and down?
          F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Thom2
            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
            • Jan 2003
            • Stevens, PA, USA.
            • Craftsman 22124

Before you go too far, I'd consider cutting the center of the table out to make a 'well' for the planer, then you could make the planer mount adjustable. It'd be a lot easier to adjust the planer than trying to adjust tables that size (not to mention the materials it'd save).

Good Luck, that's gonna be a nice addition to your shop!
            If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I agree with Thom ... sort of. I'd start by eithering lowering the planer or raising the tables you already have there so that they're all nominally in the same plane.

From there you'll tweak the setup until you get the best results. Most of the anti-snipe designs I've seen say to pull a string between the table ends and raise them so that the string is about the thickness of a nickel above the planer's built-in table at the cutterhead. You could achieve this by shimming the tables with washers so that you get a gradual rising curve along their length as they extend away from the planer ... maybe one thin washer about halfway along the tables' lengths, and a thicker one (or two) at the very ends.

IOW, I don't think you need on-the-fly adjustability, but rather set-it-and-forget-it adjustability. Also, this approach eliminates the need for all those rollers, which will be pretty fussy to get perfectly aligned with each other. A side benefit is that without the rollers to get in the way, the in/outfeed tables can double as auxiliary workbenches when the planer is not in use.
              Larry

Comment

• Stan
                • Mar 2004
                • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Think Thom has a good idea for your planer stand. Here is a picture of an adjustable method that would allow you to adjust the height of the planer to match your in-out feeds very nicely.

Basically a solid platform that mounts to the base, with an adjustable platform for the planer, held up by 4 bolts and jam nuts.

I found the information for this setup here. Kinda buried and not the full article so I included a picture.

From the NW corner of Montana.
                http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

What about the bed extension like here: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/plan-pm.htm

Also, I always wondered (never tried) about a planer sled, with a sacrifical board on either end, to "train" the snipe.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• blame
                    Established Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Northern MO

here is a drawn pic of what i "was" thinking i'd like to use

but i like the simple idea of the bolts to adjust the height of the planer, i will work on the design of the table tonight and try to get some pics up later of what i have come up with

thanks for you guys input
                    blame
                    Attached Files

Comment

• blame
                      Established Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Northern MO

ok here is what i came up with

i cut the 1 1/4 mdf in half making each piece 3ft.
                      i then measured the base frame and made a mark at 30 in. then measured and marked 8" on each side of the 30in mark and cut out 2 16in pcs for a recess for the planer to sit in

next i measured the height of the planer table from the planer foot which is 1 1/2"
                      then i added the thickness of the mdf so 2 3/4" min distance

how much space should i add to adjust the planer? i shouldnt need very much i was thinking 1/2" for adjustment so the angle iron should be mounted 3" below the main frame and the all rod should be cut roughly 3 1/2" long

what do you think?

blame
                      Attached Files

Comment

• blame
                        Established Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Northern MO

ok here is what i've been working on for the last hour or so

doesnt pay to work late in shop when your tired and only had 4 hr sleep in the last 24 hrs

first thing i found was i thought i measure an 1 1/2 for the distance from the planer bed to the base its actually 2 1/2"

second when i welded the angle iron in for the well for the planer to sit i didnt take the nut height in account for the well depth. so i tried to use a 3/4" pc of plywood thinking this would help nope still 1/2 to 3/4" off (see bad pic)

err what a waste. i'll have to redo it tommorrow night after work
                        later blame
                        Attached Files

Comment

• blame
                          Established Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Northern MO

update

ok well after fixing and replacing the well rails for the planer stand and making sure i had enough sleep so i didnt screw it up again. i managed to get every thing lined up to find i had another little problem to work out.

i found that the tables bowed towards the center. i assume because of the weight of the planer(wouldnt think so but everything measures out the same) so to overcome this little problem i made the tables adjustable. so this got me to thinking how i should go about making them do what i want. i got to thinking about a post on my diy table saw project about a table saw in mexico that used a hinge to raise and lower the table for blade height adjustment. thanks tfm37 , for the idea.
                          so this is where i'm at
                          i used a T-hinge to mount the table to the frame and then made 2 adjustable cranks to raise and lower the table (see pic)
                          the crank handles are crude but function like i want, there also lockable by using a double nut lock (set and forget hopefully)

i'm gitting closer to having this project done

i'd still like to add a solid wood apron around the edge of the tables and the shelves for storing things ,and finish the outfeed table like the infeed table.

later blame
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...