• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

HF Mortiser dimensions?

Does anyone with the HF mortiser modified with the XY vise know the minimum useful dimensions of the base? The height of the entire tool? I'm wondering if it would be possible to swap it out of a cabinet top that could also be used with a CMS and perhaps some other tool like a grinder, OSS, or something.

I only have so much useful room at working height, so I'm looking at moving the tools from a cabinet compartment up to the cabinet top as needed. I wonder about the mortiser, since it has a handle that sticks upward. Is it easily detachable for more compact storage?

Has anyone built such a cabinet, besides the big ones I've seen with BT3x00 at one end?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

I have the x-y vise on mine and it comes in at about 26" deep,13" wide and 29" high with the handle removed(Held in place with 1 set screw).If you leave the handle on you will need to allow another 12" in height.Hope this helps.
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Bob Webb
      Established Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Garland, TX.

Originally posted by messmaker
      I have the x-y vise on mine and it comes in at about 26" deep,13" wide and 29" high with the handle removed(Held in place with 1 set screw).If you leave the handle on you will need to allow another 12" in height.Hope this helps.
      Will the weight be a factor? I have the mortiser and the vise just not put together yet. I know the vise is pretty heavy considering its' size.

Bob

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

You don't want to move mine unless you have had a good breakfast. I have not put it on the scales but it seems heavier than my lunchbox planer and it is ,by no means, light.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• dlminehart
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • San Jose, CA, USA.

Darn. Well, I've already considered putting the planer on a low pull-out shelf that I'd use from that position, so maybe I'll do the same with the mortiser. In both cases, however, it would be nice to have additional infeed/outfeed or left/right support.

I suppose the mortiser only needs extra support at one side, since one could rotate the wood and reset the XY vise. Maybe I could put it at one end of my multipurpose cabinet and just leave it there, with the top of the XY vise at table height so it wouldn't interfere if I was using a CMS or planer in the middle section.
          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Just be remember the amount of pressure that your mortiser uses. Will a pull out drawer support that? I was using a brand new set of chisels on my Shopsmith while mortising some cherry and the table deflected so much that I had to build cribbing under it! I have heard others say that of other makes of mortisers so, just a heads up so that you build appropriately. I wouldn't trust a pull out since using mine. In fact, I'm going to sell the attachment and buy a dedicated mortiser to be mounted on a bench.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

Working...