• Show
Clear All
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Balancing a bandsaw wheel and tire?

Anyone have any experience with balancing a bandsaw wheel tire combo?

Sparkeyjames
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

I assume you mean while it is on the machine, along with the tire,but without the blade itself mounted? Sure, it's not terribly hard. Spin the wheel, and after it stops, use a magic marker on the top to locate the high point. Now either drill out material on the top (not undoable!) or the safer option, wrap some copper wire around the bottom-ish spoke. Lather, rinse, repeat until the wheel no longer stops at the same spot over and over. Do the same for the bottom, but take off the drive belt.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • SoCal, USA
      • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I used the grey cone mower balancer found @ HD b/c the above method did not seem to be consistent for me. I drilled out some metal , in the same areas the factory did and then rechecked. Adding weight I suppose is safer but I did not have to drill much anyway.
      Andrew

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by final_t
        Now either drill out material on the top (not undoable!) or the safer option, wrap some copper wire around the bottom-ish spoke.
        Err, isn't it the other way around? (remove weight at bottom or add at top)?

Comment

• final_t
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003

Yes, you're right. My mistake.

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

As you change tires, the wheel can become unbalanced again. Two approaches are to either 1) balance the wheel with the tire on it as a unit, or 2) to balance the wheel, then put the tire on and shave the tire until the wheel is balanced again.

Since a weekend woodworker will typically only have to change tires very infrequently, especially the urethane ones, then the first option is viable. This is a great option when you add weights to balance the wheel/tire assembly.

If you were in a situation where you would potentially replace the tires more often, it would be better to balance the wheel first and then only have to handle the balancing the tire when it is replaced. I have not found the urethane tires to cause any significant inbalance when they are put on balanced wheels. You may have to touch up the tire weld, but that is usually about all.

Comment

Working...