• Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

"V" Drum Sander

I have been considering building a shop made sander. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, how it worked out? I found this kit while surfing the web and seems to have somewhat of a following.

Anyone out there toyed with or built their own surface sander?
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

looks cool mate...a bit pricey though for a kit.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• blame
      Established Member
      • May 2007
      • Northern MO
      • delta ts-220 or something like that

not sure if you have seen this one it was in shopnotes #86

here is the link

heres another thickness sander (same idea as the shopnotes version only driven off its own motor instead of a table saw)
      http://www.rockslide.org/drum sander.html

here is another one (alittle crude if you ask me but it works)

i found this page while looking for thickness sanders a review of sorts on your kit

hope this helps in your search for a thickness/drum sander

blame

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

I have the motor already. I am thinking about trying to build it without buying the kit but I am having trouble comming up with a axle and and a drum. The rest should not be that hard. I could have used one about 3 times during the last week alone.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by messmaker
          I have the motor already. I am thinking about trying to build it without buying the kit but I am having trouble comming up with a axle and and a drum. The rest should not be that hard. I could have used one about 3 times during the last week alone.

Here is one I have been looking at. Has a link to the plans and lots of info on do's and don'ts as he built it. Has an interesting way of making the drum.

I have been considering buying a kit from stockroomsupply.com but that really drives the price up for what you get. I kind of like the concept of the drum above a table with adjustable height control. Looks like an interesting project, both from the mechanical side and the precision required to actually build a unit that is functional. Seems to me that commercial units are just too expensive. I have a motor from a TS3650 (Saw was trashed) thats just begging to be put to use.
          RAGS
          sigpic

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I've seen people discuss using parts from an old Treadmill (axle and drum), quite a bit. Keep your eye out at garage sales and even for dead ones (seems a lot of dead motors).
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• blame
              Established Member
              • May 2007
              • Northern MO

Originally posted by messmaker
              hey messmaker

if you have a lathe you could try turning the drum like you would a pen

buy a 1/2" steel rod then cut out enough 3/4" pieces to make your length for your drum and chuck it into your lathe. you would also need 2 1/2" stop collars so you can tighten down your pieces your turning you may need to use some bar clamps to get the pieces tight enough to turn also. then all you need to do is screw each piece you have together in the fist pcs and the last piece you need to make a notch so you can clamp down your sand paper also you will have to use 2 drive pins in your steel axle and use the router to cut the resses in the end pieces. if you dont have a lathe let me know i'll be glad turn you enough for your project you only pay shipping i'll supply you with the wood , i have abunch of osage orange and black locust both very hard woods

another source for the axle might look and the high wheel push lawn mowers they have a 1/2" rod for the axles though you might want to use 5/8" or 3/4" rod would be better

for your pillow blocks check out http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...ame=powerTrans
              these are 1/2" ball bearing pillow blocks for $9.99 plus shipping (cheapest place i've found to get somebody else might know where there are cheaper ones but dont get the brass bushing ones they dont last just ask me how i know! LOL )

you may want to book mark that site great place to find stuff cheap

i've been thinking i would like to build one of these to in the future i have a long list of project before i get here though, its great doing diy tools, i love it ,lol

blame

Comment

• blame
                Established Member
                • May 2007
                • Northern MO

oh forgot to add the surplus center also has pulleys too
                check em out

Warehouse distributor for many top name manufacturers. Parker Hydraulics, Hypro Pumps, Prince Hydraulics. Direct from the factory. Surplus equipment. We buy large quantities of manufacturer's surplus or excess stock.

dude!!! they have toggle clamps to!!!
                Warehouse distributor for many top name manufacturers. Parker Hydraulics, Hypro Pumps, Prince Hydraulics. Direct from the factory. Surplus equipment. We buy large quantities of manufacturer's surplus or excess stock.

i love that place
                blame

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by blame
                  hey messmaker

for your pillow blocks check out http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...ame=powerTrans
                  these are 1/2" ball bearing pillow blocks for $9.99 plus shipping (cheapest place i've found to get somebody else might know where there are cheaper ones but dont get the brass bushing ones they dont last just ask me how i know! LOL )

you may want to book mark that site great place to find stuff cheap

i've been thinking i would like to build one of these to in the future i have a long list of project before i get here though, its great doing diy tools, i love it ,lol

blame
                  Great site. Thanks for the info.
                  RAGS
                  sigpic

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

Thanks for the offer, Blame. I might need your help as my turning skills are limited. I think the treadmill idea could work. I think I will attach velcro so putting on the sandpaper should be no sweat. Thanks for the link on Surplus Center.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• blame
                      Established Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Northern MO

no problem guys you've sparked my intrest

you could make this jig to help you with turning the drum

blame
                      Attached Files

Comment

• bmyers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Fishkill, NY
                        • bt 3100

I built the Shopnotes version and have been quite happy with it. There are 2 different kinds of drums to build for that project, one large and one small. You can see how I built each of them at:

I still run it off my BT3k motor with a speed control.

Good Luck,
                        Bill
                        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• padboy
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2005
                          • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

Drum Sander

This will only work for those who own a Shopsmith. Here's how I made mine:
                          I used a length of thick walled PVC plumbing pipe plugged at each end with hardwood plugs cut with a hole saw. The pilot drill of the hole saw leaves a perfect centering mark for when the drum is attached between the centers of the Shopsmith. I used sanding disc cement(avail at any well stocked auto parts store)to attach the sandpaper to the drum. Thicknessing of the stock is accomplished by raising and lowering the table saw platform which is installed below the drum. You will need to make some sort of decent dust collection hood though as this thing really spits it out! Hope this helps.

Comment

• ragswl4
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Winchester, Ca
                            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by bmyers
                            I built the Shopnotes version and have been quite happy with it. There are 2 different kinds of drums to build for that project, one large and one small. You can see how I built each of them at:

Good Luck,
                            Bill
                            Nice pics and super looking sander. It will be a great help when I start to build one. Thanks for posting.
                            RAGS
                            sigpic

Comment

• blame
                              Established Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Northern MO

Originally posted by bmyers

Good Luck,
                              Bill
                              nice sander bill have you noticed any problems with the sanding belt/conveyor belt

Comment

Working...