• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Anyone know what this is?

Went to the high school auction today. Didn't get a lathe, or anything big, but I did pick up a few planes, a cabinet scraper, some try squares, and this thing ..........

The right picture shows some type of scale on the bottom side. At the top is "0", then 10, 8,6,5,4. Its made by Stanley and has No 30 marked on it. I'm guessing its some kind of bevel guage for measuring or setting pitch or something. I can obviously use it for a bevel guage, but was wondering what intended use really is. Anyone??

Todd
    Attached Files
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

angle divider .....

halfway down the page here ... http://www.patented-antiques.com/Bac...quare_bvls.htm

EXPENSIVE ... you have a collectible in your hands!!!!
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Thom2
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

even found instructions!

http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/features/no_30.html

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

WOW!!! they want $130 for one in Fine condition. The one you have looks a lot better than that!! Sell yours and buy your big tools with the money.
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• hermit
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Somerset, PA, USA.

OMG! Boy you guys are quick! You're not going to believe what I paid ........... $6 and it came with a circle cutter for the drill press (didn't need one, but what the heck). I only bid on it, cause it looked like something useful. I don't think this has ever been used. I had the original box, but it was disintegrating so I tossed it. I may have to dig it out just for kicks. Didn't come with instructions (obviously, thus the post), So, I really appreciate the link for that.

Thanks again,
          Todd

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

Originally posted by hermit
            OMG! Boy you guys are quick! You're not going to believe what I paid ........... $6 and it came with a circle cutter for the drill press (didn't need one, but what the heck). I only bid on it, cause it looked like something useful. I don't think this has ever been used. I had the original box, but it was disintegrating so I tossed it. I may have to dig it out just for kicks. Didn't come with instructions (obviously, thus the post), So, I really appreciate the link for that.

Thanks again,
            Todd
            Not sure about old tools, but normally if you have the original box (even if the box is in bad shape) the value goes up quickly!!! I would be digging thru the trash pronto!!!

You might be able to turn that $6 into a nice power tool that you have had your eye on.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Thom2
              • Jan 2003
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by TheRic
              Not sure about old tools, but normally if you have the original box (even if the box is in bad shape) the value goes up quickly!!! I would be digging thru the trash pronto!!!

You might be able to turn that $6 into a nice power tool that you have had your eye on.

I'm with Ric on this .... ANY box is worth $$$ ... of course a pristine box ups the value immensely, but if you have a box AT ALL it'll bring $$$.

(I've seen empty Stanley plane boxes bringing money on ebay, I'm sure some of the "knuckle draggers" can shed more light as I only watch sporadically)

Comment

Working...