• Show
Clear All
  • niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

All seasons cross-cut sled for TS

Good day

Today, I was working on the router table fence, the "Fence/Bit" precision distance system and the "Fence stops" precision positioning system.

I took some 3 Tons of pics but I have to "Delete", "Sharpen", "Add Text" etc and it will take some time to post.

In between, I needed a sled to cut small (and not so small) pieces so I made one in 15~20 minutes from the "Floor Panels" left-over that I used for the router table.

I called it "All seasons sled" because temp and humidity changes are not effecting the sled runners that usually are expanding and contracting with humidity changes.

The sled is always tight, without any "Side play" and can be "re-adjusted" in seconds.

Because of the construction method, everything is very square to the blade and no need of "Two cut test" or "Five cut test"...it's dead 90°...as long as the blade is parallel to the miter slot and your triangle is accurate...

And last, it's sliding, actually half rolling, and is very, very easy to push-pull.

Many variations can be done on this sled and I leave it to your imagination (I have a few ideas).

Sorry but I did not take any pics of the WIP so if you have any questions, I'm here...

Regards
    niki

• cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Quite ingenious!

Comment

• final_t
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003

I still love that roller idea from this and the M&T unit. Very very clever!

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

Niki,

Another great idea. What kind of flooring material are you using for the base? Thickness, what material it is made of? I think it has an MDF substrate but wanted to know for sure. I see you use this material quite often and apparently it is very stable and I would like to see if I can obtain it. Thanks and if you don't mind, I'd like to copy and make one of those sleds as I need one for my TS.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

Brilliant! More details please mate.

You should post that router table here as well
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• lcm1947
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Austin, Texas
            • BT 3100-1

Another good idea Niki. Due to my TS setup I do need a sled like that and have been sort of looking around for one to build. Yours looks simple and quick to build. I may have to copy it myself and I assume you'd have no objections since you posted it. If so you better hurry and stop me as I will probably knock one out this weekend. Thanks again Niki.
            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Having built a sled myself using two miter-slots, I feel the biggest challange is getting the fence on the sled to be exactly 90° to the blade - something i have not full confidence in. Could you help in detailing what's the best/easiest way of doing that?

(in other words, i cut the sled the first time; now i put a triangle against the blade, and use it's other side to align the fence. but how do i fix this fence accurately to the sled - maybe apply glue and hold the fence onto the sled with the triangle as support...?)
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• niki
                • Nov 2006
                • Poland
                • EB PK255

Thank you for your kind words

As you can see, I posted it around midnight - Poland time.
                Now it's 7:30 AM here (good morning)

So, please don't do nothing...I will make another one today and take "step-by-step" pics and post it as "All season crosscut sled WIP".

There are 2 "secrets" in building this sled;

1. The runner is cut to 1/32~1/16" narrower than the miter slot and that makes the runner preparation "piece of cake".

2. I'm not using the "Static position" of the blade to square the fence, but instead, the "Dynamic position" of the blade that can be a little bit different from the "Static position" due to "external forces" like play in the arbor, up-down system or any other moving part that changes position during the blade rotation.

So, get ready your "Floor panels"....(you can use other materials as well, I used 5/16" floor panel because I have left-overs)...And your accurate Plastic triangle

Regswi4
                The floor panels are 5/16" thick, made of HDF (High Density Fiberboard) and are covered with Plastic laminate (Formica) on both sides that makes them very strong (10~25 years guaranty), very stable and very slippery (just Google "floor panels).

Siliconebauhaus
                Mate, the router table is posted, "New router - New table"

Thanks again and see you tonight (my night -your noon)
                niki

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by radhak
                  I feel the biggest challange is getting the fence on the sled to be exactly 90° to the blade - something i have not full confidence in. Could you help in detailing what's the best/easiest way of doing that?
                  I'd suggest using an aluminum extrusion for the "fixed" fence, and a permanent fixture, such as a pivot pin, on one end, and a slotted fixture at the other end, so that the fence can be adjusted for square. Then, check for square against a crosscut piece of scrap, rather than against the static blade. This will allow for any deviations arising from blade drift or "play" in the sled.

Comment

Working...