• Show
Clear All
  • steve-u
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Bartlett, Ill.
    • Ryobi BT 3100

Table saw into basement??

I am not sure this is the right forum but here goes.

I am thinking of getting a new table saw BUT my shop is in the basement. I have the BT3100 there now and it does me just great but getting the urge to maybe try something different. Most likely I will stick with the BT3100 but still I am wondering how hard it is to get a heavier saw down a straight flight of sturdy stairs into the basement. Let' s say something like the Craftsman 922114 that weighs about 380 assembled according to Sears.

I have a surdy appliance cart with straps that I have used to get washers, dryers, refirigerators, and hot water heaters in and out of various basements but I am talking 380 ponds for a saw. Can they be fairly easily dissasembled to the point that the main body/motor can be wheeled down and then the rest assembled after that - table, wings, fence, rails, etc. ??

Thanks for any tips or experiences.

Steve
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

I had a similar question a while ago and the consensus at the time was to remove the top (provided it is a cabinet saw or hybrid w/ cabinet-mounted trunnions like the Sears zip code saws are).

A couple of people mentioned that you should watch for any shims between the cabinet and top when you disassemble, so you can make sure you get them back in the right spots when you put it back together.

But I would imagine the extensions and top of the Sears saw would lighten it by 150 pounds or more. So not so hard getting the rest down the stairs any longer. Maybe even easier than a washing machine, because it is smaller and easier to maneuver.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

What I did with my contractor saw was to leave the saw boxed up and very carefully just slid it down the stairs. The box is large enough that it spans several stairs so there isn't any stair banging as you glide it down. Doing it that way, I was able to get my saw into the basement by myself. Once in the basement I used a hand cart to move it into the shop area and assembled it there.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
        • Dec 2006
        • hagerstown, md

that was a good idea mate
        パトリック
        daiku woodworking
        ^deshi^
        neoshed

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by sweensdv
          What I did with my contractor saw was to leave the saw boxed up and very carefully just slid it down the stairs. The box is large enough that it spans several stairs so there isn't any stair banging as you glide it down. Doing it that way, I was able to get my saw into the basement by myself. Once in the basement I used a hand cart to move it into the shop area and assembled it there.
          This is exactly what I did with a large and heavy stationary recumbant bike. The length of the box also spanned about three steps so it worked well. I also used a blanket to cover the edges of the wood stairs.

Good luck, Steve

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Assembly in the basement is definitely the way to go. It would probably be better to choose a saw with a leg system, as opposed to a cabinet unit. If you can handle the whole weight at once, leave everything in the carton, if not, unpackage it outside and bring it down in pieces.

Comment

• mpauly
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • NJ

If you can take the wings separately, you shouldn't have much trouble with the weight if you get a friend to help out. The size/shape of it may pose other problems though when trying to grip and lift. The large appliance hand truck may work, but keep in mind that all that weight in now more mobile on those wheels and get get away from you. Either way definitely get some help.

Just a reference point, my father and I carried an assembled ridgid jointer (listed at 213 lbs) down to my basement with little problems. We went down step by step, resting most of the weight on the stairs at each step.

Getting it out....may be another story.

Michael

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

I have the 22114. When you uncrate it, it is in lots of pieces. Even the legs are not installed. So basically you have the cabinet without the legs, the top and the trunnions and motor. I would guess it all weighs less that 200lbs and is actually quite small compared to the final assembled saw. That part is 20" wide, 27" deep and 24" tall. I would think you could take it down a flight of stairs on a dolly. Need a big guy at the bottom and another one at the top and go slow. Tie it down and then tie it down, did I say tie it down? A furniture dolly with those tread wheels would be ideal. My step son and I took the basic cabinet out of my pickup truck to the ground and turned it over, attached the legs and set it upright. We are both 5'8" and weigh about 140lbs. He's 30 yrs old, I'm twice that. No bad back afterwards.

The table extensions, fence, rails and hardware are all separate so the 380lb advertised weight is only after all is put together.

Last thought is that if you want it on a mobile base, do it before you assemble the saw. Picking it up afterwards is tough and might bend something.

Really last thought, read the assembly instructions before you let your helper get away. Gotta flip the saw a couple of times.
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• steve-u
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Bartlett, Ill.
                  • Ryobi BT 3100

Thanks!

Thanks for all the tips and experiences gentlemen - all very helpful. It sounds like it is something that is very possible. My applicance cart has wheels and treads so that you can glide it down a stair pretty easily. Getting a refrigerator and an old fifty gallon hot water heater out of the basement [in one piece] have been my biggest challenges so far.

Steve

Comment

• hermit
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Somerset, PA, USA.

I have the 22124, but had to take it UPSTAIRS. 18 to be exact. I uncrated everything and carried it in pieces. I removed the top (without wings) also, so I could haul the body up. Luckily the wife came home just as I was starting. Could have probably managed by myself, but she could never have helped me with the top still on. So yes it isn't that big of a problem. I would have taken the motor out also if need be. That would have lightened the load even more.

Todd

Comment

Working...