how do i get the rust off my table saw? i have tried to use mineral spirits and it took out some of it. but i figured that everyone here will know what to do with this problem.
Use lots of WD-40 and scotchbrite pads in your ROS, it will take it off.
Then be sure and clean up the WD-40 afterwards and put on a couple of good coats of Johnson's pastewax or Minwax paste wax and buff it out.
eezlock
Don't get carried away with the WD40. You don't want to use so much that it saturates the scotchbrite pad and gets into the pad on your ROS. WD40 will wreck the pad on your sander.
_________________________ "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"
Depends on how bad it is and what type of finish you mind on the top. If it's not that bad then WD-40, scotch brite pad or fine steel wool, and elbow grease works well.
If it's a little worse off then a product called Rust-Free from Boeshield (usually comes in a package with T-9) and steel wool works well. But since it's an acid it etches the top and turns it a dull grey color. Does nothing to the performance but if you want that showroom shine, then this isn't for you. This is extremely hard to get out.
The other option is to use a low grit sandpaper (220 or above) on a ROS and LOTS of WD-40. You have to make sure you constantly move the ROS though. This is a somewhat risky process though as if you leave it in one spot too long you may end up with a low spot. I did this option and mine came out well but you have to make sure you're careful.
After you get it clean spray with T-9 and let it dry. Do this a couple of times then finish off with a coat of Johnson's Paste wax. Make sure you coat everything though cuz the spots you miss might rust up again. This happened to me and I had to do the entire process over again. But after that I haven't had any rust.
how do i get the rust off my table saw? i have tried to use mineral spirits and it took out some of it. but i figured that everyone here will know what to do with this problem.
Recently someone set a soda can on my bandsaw cast iron table and of course it started corroding (a ring) when the condensation from the can got on the table. It was more of a dark ring than a rust color.
I sprayed the the area with WD-40, loaded some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper on my rubber sanding block. In less than a minute I could barely see the ring so I stopped, wiped off the top (lots of black residue), resprayed with WD-40, sanded again (with new paper) for another 30 seconds. Wiped it down again, resprayed with WD-40, wipped it again, continued until there was no black residue on the cloth. Cleaned again with mineral spirits. Let dry, applied two coats of Johnsons paste wax. Looks great.
Don't put a lot of pressure on the sanding block if you use this method. Let the WD and the sandpaper do the work. Also I sanded the entire width of the table just to minimize any dips. Check progress often, no need to sand more than is necessary.
Also had a couple of spots on my table saw top and did the same thing.
I would try the scotch pad first as it's less abrasive, then if that doesn't work well enough then try this method.
Recently someone set a soda can on my bandsaw cast iron table and of course it started corroding (a ring) when the condensation from the can got on the table. It was more of a dark ring than a rust color.
I sprayed the the area with WD-40, loaded some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper on my rubber sanding block...
I like the 400 grit idea Bill for those tough ones...thanks for that. Man...something about those nice shiny cast iron surfaces that just screams "what a great coaster" to anyone else in your shop. I just got another one compliments of the electrician I had in here yesterday (adding more outlets/circuits & lighting). He threw that in for free...
Comment