X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarhead
    • May 2004
    • Boynton Beach, FL.

HF HVLP 90977 spray gun

Since I have a small Makita compressor, I am looking to pick up a 90977 spray gun. According to the posted specs, the gun requires 5.91cfm @ 29PSI - my compressor outputs 4.8cfm @ 40PSI. Does anyone owns this spray gun? Opinions?
    If anyone has their catalog with this gun on sale, please post the catalog and item number.
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

My experience with HF's larger guns is good. I don't have that model, mine isn't showing online but it was alittle cheaper and does a real good job. The smaller detail guns don't have the correct size liguid needle for unthinned lacquer or I'm not doing something right (could be). Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
      • May 2003
      • Orlando, FL, USA.
      • BT3000

I have the HF HVLP gun #90977. Bought it for the same reason that you did ... stated that it needs less air volume. I hook it to a HF #47065 compressor (21gal; 3.5 CFM @ 90 PSI; 8.8 CFM @ 40 PSI). Tank size may be as important as CFM.

I'm certainly no expert. Only used it a couple of times with oil paint - thinned a lot. But it worked well. I shot relatively short bursts. The compressor ran most of the time. I stopped fairly frequently to let it catch up. Never saw any deteriation of the spray quality, so I guess it was pushing enough air to spray OK.

FYI, I use a HF #1118 AirFilter/Regulator between the compressor and the gun. 25' from compressor to regulator. 25' from regulator to gun. Full presssure to the regulator. Reduce to ~50PSI at regulator. Final reduction to 29PSI at gun.

The painter that managed the painting crews during our recent remodel showed me how to use the gun. He was impressed, and bought the HF HVLP gun #43430 that is available at HF retail stores. (9.5 - 14.8 CFM)

Another choice is the HF HVLP turbine sprayer. I believe that there are two models. I've seen the higher priced one on sale for about $69. Don't know much about them.

- Lonnie
      OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

Working...