Hitachi belt sander question Model SB75B

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 1490
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

    #1

    Hitachi belt sander question Model SB75B

    Can anybody tell me or even guess why Hitachi would have put a extra wide platen on thier 3x21" belt sander. All other brands and I mean all other brands have the proper size platen except for Hitachi. It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out. There has got to be a reason. Anybody. If you own one what do you think of it also?
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 1134
    • Bayfield Co., WI

    #2
    By how much is it wide? Could it be a metric thing, with of course U.S. belts being inches not cm?

    Comment

    • lcm1947
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • 1490
      • Austin, Texas
      • BT 3100-1

      #3
      Ok never mind I found out. I happened to come across an article that said that it was designed to help when sanding flush to the right. In his opinion it didn't and the extra wide platen just made it more difficult to see what you were doing overall. So not a good idea and I didn't think so but just had to know. To answer your question gwyneth. It's about maybe an inch I'd say wider then the rollers. Kind of goofy looking too. Plus the bag on the wrong side.
      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

      Comment

      • gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 1134
        • Bayfield Co., WI

        #4
        I've got a Hitachi palm sander and sometimes the results of their design team make me think they came from the hopped-up world of extreme Japanese anime.

        Amazing they haven't investigated air skirts, like race cars-- next they'll add spoilers.

        Comment

        • lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • 1490
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

          #5
          Yeah gwyneth Hitachi tools are somewhat- well extreme looking. I guess they and Ryobi are pretty close to the same quality with maybe them charging a little more and I suppose a little better but then again Ryobi has them on certain tools in my opinion.
          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

          Comment

          Working...