• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Cr@pola!!!

This past weekend went out and picked up a DW 18V impact driver, love the thing, can't believe I have gone without one this long.
    A little more expensive than some, I went with it because I have the 18 V XRP drill/driver and one of the batteries is giving me problems, so now I got two more new ones with the impact driver.

Well today I use the drill/driver and noticed some smoke coming out of it and a slight burning smell. A little upset now, as I probably could have gone with a new Ridgid drill and impact for the same money as I paid for the DW impactor.
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson
  • MilDoc

Sorry to hear that. Hope they make it right...

Hate to say it but I really don't like DW and B&D much anymore. Had too many problems. Any other opinions?

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
      • Dec 2006
      • hagerstown, md

I've always thought that DW was overpriced, I'll stick with hitachi
      パトリック
      daiku woodworking
      ^deshi^
      neoshed

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Ive got a Bosch cordless that I've had almost 20 years and it's still goin' strong. Clutches have to be set on max, but the same batteries still work and take a full charge. Unbelievable. I also like my PC 14.4V DD/HD. It's a lot heavier than the Bosch, but it stands on the handle, and has a lot of oomph.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Sorry to hear of your problems JT. Sounds like your Drill Driver got jealous and just quit on you.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JTimmons
            • Feb 2005
            • Denver, CO.

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
            I've always thought that DW was overpriced, I'll stick with hitachi
            I held the Hitachi in my hand for a few minutes and really liked the price, nice torque too, not really sure about the little lever on the bottom of the handle with the light in it, but again it was cheaper than the DW by far.

Also considered the Ridgid, but I wanted to standardize my tools as I also have a cordless sawsall that I got with drill/driver that gets used quite a bit. I got the combo for $109 about 3 years ago. I just happened to look at the price of just the 18V DD though and it was $289 I think .

Father's Day is around the corner, maybe I can drop some hints and swindle me another drill.

The drill still works, but I think it's on it's last leg. Who knows it may last a few more years, it won't have the burden of driving screws anymore thats for sure.

Thanks guys, for listening to me vent!
            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

I never tried either of these models and I know that "you get what you paid" but what do you people think of this combo:
              http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00911550000
              Craftsman 19.2V impact driver, 3/8 drill, charger and 2 Die Hard batteries for $100?
              Alex V

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by vaking
                I never tried either of these models and I know that "you get what you paid" but what do you people think of this combo:
                http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00911550000
                Craftsman 19.2V impact driver, 3/8 drill, charger and 2 Die Hard batteries for $100?
                I thought I remember somone saying that the Ryobi and Craftsman are made by the same company, and are the same except for some minor cosmetic differences... If so, it's not bad. I love my Ryobi tools.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I had thought of trying to buy the same brand of tools due to the batteries.

I gave up on that idea. My old cordless drills were on the way out (two Makita 9.6v batteries still available, and a cheap (gift) Craftsman 14.4).
                  I had picked up the Ridgid 14.4 impact after hearing good things, and catching it on sale. But the drills were listed as out of stock on the web. I found one in my local store, and boy was it heavy. I could have bought one reconditioned at Cummins (about two miles away), but no lifetime service agreement (aka the batteries).
                  I replaced my drill with a Panasonic 15.6, though I looked at the 14.4 lithion ion kit, with the impact gun. Couldn't justify it.
                  After using the Bosch PS20 (10.8 drill/driver), I would seriously consider the new PS40 (impact gun) to replace it if I had to.

The impact gun, certainly made my cordless drills last longer, and I learned a long time ago, to switch to a corded drill on anything big.

Sorry about your magic smoke!
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• lago
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Lago Vista, TX.

If you have a DeWalt Service Center close by, they can rebuild it for a flat rate. IIRC, 18V is about $90 for a complete rebuild in the Austin location.
                    Ken

Comment

• jseklund
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006

Sorry to hear that. I am one of the few who has had *mostly* good experiences with Dewalt. I've tortured my Drill/Sawzall for about 4 years with no problems at all. I have their router and love it. I'm one of the few who went with their jigsaw over the bosch- and I'm happy with it (never used the bosch though). The only problem I've ever had was with their belt sander. That thing is absolute crap.

I have DeWalt's 14.4V Drill/Impact Driver combo. I wish it was the 18V, but not complaining- I got it as a gift from my mom for doing some work at the house. Sweet deal if you ask me- I would do the work anyway! I've had it for almost a year and have used it for woodworking (perfect for driving screws- way better than a drill), and a ton of car work. I even tortured the thing taking off lug nuts, brake bolts, etc. While it's not as powerful as an impact wrench, I find that it's a great tool for lower torque stuff. Even with the abuse I've never had one problem.

I hope they fix it for you- they should. I think if you get a second unit you will be happy. I hope. Good luck.
                      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

All my cordless stuff is DW 18V. Never had any problems (fingers totally crossed) except that replacement batteries are ridiculously expensive (although I did get a two-pack on sale at Lowes for the price of a single battery). I've cut railroad timbers with the circ saw, punched half-inch holes in 20" concrete slab with the hammer-drill, and got drunk once and cut a car in half with the sawzall on a single charge.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                          and got drunk once and cut a car in half with the sawzall on a single charge.

The no pictures, didn't happen rule, can sometimes be a good thing!
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JTimmons
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Denver, CO.

Well I seemed to convince the LOML that I needed a new drill, was going to get the run of the mill 18V DW not the XRP version. Went this morning and notcied the 14V Makita, pretty nice drill and it was on cleareance for the same price as the DW.

Went to look for it and I was told the last one they had was the display w/o the batteries or charger. (the kid said they are told by management now to throw away the batteries and chargers for the displays on everything cordless)

Anyway, he said he had a bunch of 18V XRPs drills on cleareance for $142, maybe I am just a gluten for punishment, but for $142 I jumped on it. I may see what it costs to have the old one rebuilt too reading lago's post. To be honest though I really ran the old one through the ringer, so I guess I am sticking with Dewalt for some of my stuff.

Edit:
                            Oh yeah, I got 6 batteries and 3 chargers now, I ain't ever going to run out of juice!

If anyone is interested in the XRPs in the Denver area, it's the Lowes on I-76 and Bromley Lane.
                            Last edited by JTimmons; 06-09-2007, 02:24 AM.
                            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                              The no pictures, didn't happen rule, can sometimes be a good thing!
                              No problem... It wasn't my car...

Comment

Working...