• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

New cabinet saw...missing my BT3K riving knife

I was among the many that jumped on the recent Jet JTAS 10" cab saw deal on Amazon (I know, you're probably sick of hearing me ask questions about it ). So far, I just get pure joy from listening to this thing hum when I power it up...cuts like a dream...just couldn't be happier. The only thing I'm really missing over my BT3100 is the riving knife (I also had the Shark Guard - which I loved). The PM2000 or SawStop was on my original dream saw list someday (one of the reasons being for the riving knife, and ease of removing guard)...but just couldnt pass this deal on the Jet.

Anybody have any ideas, or are there any mods for either easy removal of the guard & splitter on this one, or replacement with a riving knife?
    Gary
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

You know, I think I mis-fired on this one, and just found this post: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...t=riving+knife

I also see that there is a Shark Guard for the Jet JTAS (for anyone else interested): http://www.leestyron.com/jetjtas10.php

If anyone has anything different to add, I'd be interested. Thanks!
    Gary

Comment

• Greg Jones
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2006
      • Berea, KY

The first thing I did after ordering the Jet (which arrives tomorrow) was to order a Shark Guard, my second one. It's about as close as you can get to a true riving knife.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

See, Gary, you are making me feel better, I'm sure that I paid a lot more for my PM2000, but I love my RK system. There are some really nice aftermarket splitters that are easy to use. I would think that you should consider ease of use, as any saftey feature that is easy to use gets used.

BTW, I have a high opinion of the shark guard as well, great addition.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• GaryA
          Established Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Tampa, FL, USA.

Originally posted by Greg Jones
          The first thing I did after ordering the Jet (which arrives tomorrow) was to order a Shark Guard, my second one. It's about as close as you can get to a true riving knife.
          Greg - did you get the left tilt JTAS? Mine is a right tilt. I have a message in to Lee at Shark Guard, but unless I'm misunderstanding something, there is no mention of right tilt compatibility (??)

Keith - agreed! I'm jealous of the PM's RK system...very sweet...
          Gary

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Thanks Guys.
            Gary, I answered your email questions. I will just post my reply here as well.

"The version of the shark I make for these Jet saws is the same for both left and right tilt. They both use the same mounting bracket from Jet.
            There really is no way to add an aftermarket riving knife to a saw. Not that is reasonable cost wise. The machine has to be designed to use one. Remember how the mechanics worked on the BT. Straight up and down movement. The Jet's trunnion sort of swings the blade up and down. No real way to mount a knife to the trunnion that would always have the same relation to the blade. All the working internal parts would have to be redone. I think Jet is coming out with a saw equipped with a riving knife. This may be why you got a good deal on the JTAS."
            Lee

Comment

• eddy merckx
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Western WA
              • Shop Fox Cabinet

Gary

I bought a Shopfox cab saw over the winter. I'm perfectly happy with it, especially after retrofitting my old Sharkguard to it. I just got the splitter attachments from Lee, then reused my polycarbonate guard. There is a tool-free removal lever for non-through cuts which is so much easier to use than the riving knife nuts on the BT3 system. So far, I don't miss that riving knife.

It's easy to forget how well a Sharkguard works until you use the stock guard on a new saw. I can see why so many people just discard the splitter/guard system on new saws. The one that came on mine was almost worse than not using one at all.

Eddy

Comment

• GaryA
                Established Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Tampa, FL, USA.

Originally posted by Stytooner
                Thanks Guys.
                Gary, I answered your email questions. I will just post my reply here as well.

"The version of the shark I make for these Jet saws is the same for both left and right tilt. They both use the same mounting bracket from Jet.
                There really is no way to add an aftermarket riving knife to a saw. Not that is reasonable cost wise. The machine has to be designed to use one. Remember how the mechanics worked on the BT. Straight up and down movement. The Jet's trunnion sort of swings the blade up and down. No real way to mount a knife to the trunnion that would always have the same relation to the blade. All the working internal parts would have to be redone. I think Jet is coming out with a saw equipped with a riving knife. This may be why you got a good deal on the JTAS."

Thanks Lee. I just sent you an email reply.
                Gary

Comment

Working...