Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Pinnacle 8pc Chisel Set

Good afternoon folks,

Got an ad in the mail from Woodcraft and a post card indicating a $15.00 off $50.00 in store coupon @ Palatine IL Woodcraft store. I saw that they have a special on Pinnacle 8pc chisel set for $50.00 and I just wanted to know before pulling the trigger on it if anybody has this chisel set and if you can provide any user feedback?

Kind regards,
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

I have a 3 piece pinnacle set. I like it but don't have much to compare it too.

If someone wants to send me so quality chisels to compare, I'll do a write-up.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

This is one of those questions that you will get a multitude of answers and opinions on. With that I will give you my take on this question. I have found through experience that the cheaper Chinese turning tools for the most part can be separated into two categories and they are 1) Complete junk that may hurt you, and 2) Usable. One of the sets Harbor Freight carries as well as PSI fit into number 2 and I think the Pinnacle from Woodcraft does also. To me the real noticeable difference between the cheap and the more expensive turning tool is the fit and finish of the tool. Since I am no metallurgist I will refrain from talking about the difference between additives in the steel itself.

So, a cheaper tool typically has a rougher finish on the handle and the milling marks on the steel are generally pretty rough. They can be sharpened and used with great success but they do not hold an edge quite as long as a more expensive tool. I am a tool hone’er so I like my edge very sharp on most of my tools with the exception of the roughing tools. I currently use two of the PSI box tools quite often and like them allot but you must consider that I have taken a considerable amount of time removing milling marks and refining the tools.

I think that the cheaper tools are great for a new turner for if nothing else, sharpening practice! It is much less painful to grind away at a cheap tool that an expensive tool. Now what I personally have against the Pinnacle is the handles on them as I don’t care for the style and the feel of them but that is just a personal thing.

Now of course with all this you want HSS steel and a good grinder to keep them sharp. A slow speed grinder will help you in prolonging the life of your tool as it removes steel slower and may be more controllable but is really not necessary if you own a regular grinder but a friable grinding wheel is. I like a 100 grit or so for normal sharpening (Less serrations on the edge) and a 36 to 60 grit for shaping.

My .02
      Ken

Comment

• eddy merckx
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Western WA
        • Shop Fox Cabinet

Hi Chris

I do have experience with that Pinnacle chisel set. I got a set for Christmas (my request). After spending hours honing and flattening the chisels, I was amazed to discover that the sharpened edges would chip and curl over really easily while in use. I sent them back to Woodcraft, where the lab guy tested them for Rockwell hardness. There was variation over the set, but some were pretty soft. Also he discovered a big crack in one of them.

I returned them for credit and got a Marples set, which I'm satasfied with. They aren't the best you can get, but at least the edge doesn't bend over. I recently used them to hand cut a bunch of dovetail with no problems.

As an item of interest, I saw what appears to be the same chisel set as the Pinnacle in the Grizzly catalog for half as much.

Best wishes,
        Eddy

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Here Is Your Answer . . .

They are metric but a great deal!

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11749

Comment

• PittTrack
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
            They are metric but a great deal!

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11749
            Humm... I wonder why they are clearing out their metric ones. Is it just because most people want the standard system and not metric?

Just curious since at that price I am considering a set, it would be nice to have a quality set esp at that price.

Comment

Working...