Anybody ever used a Ridgid palm sanders?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Anybody ever used a Ridgid palm sanders?

I bought one of these about a year ago and just now used it - believe it or not. Anyway it replaced an old old old B&D that I used for close to maybe 15 to 20 years, yeah I wasn't in to woodworking until couple of years ago, anyway my new Ridgid seems to want to walk all over the place unless I use both hands and apply a good amount of pressure down on it. My question is this normal for all sanders? I sure don't remember ever having to do that with the B&D. It bothers me so much I am seriously thinking about buying a different kind but heck maybe they all walk like this. The B&D probably was a lot less powerful ( I assume ) so that may be why but would like to know for sure. Anybody actually having a Ridgid and have operated another brand for comparison? Oh and before everybody tells me to replace it with a orbit sanders, I also already have one of those. I don't need the palm sander often but for corners, etc they are great. It's just mine walks all over and very hard to keep it going where I want it to. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

What do you have, a 1/4 sheet palm sander? Want to make sure we are talking the same tool.

Comment

• lcm1947
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Austin, Texas
      • BT 3100-1

Yeah sorry a 1/4 sheet palm sander.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I have the Rigid quarter sheet palm sander and I like it except for the noise. I do not think it is difficult to control but I do not like the noise it makes. I used to use a Rockwell (now Porter Cable) speed block but started using the Rigid because of its dust collection. The Rockwell is not as noisy but not much different from a control standpoint.

If you want difficult to control with one hand, you need an orbital sander shaped like a right angle grinder. Mine is a 6 inch DeWalt. It is a real handfull on full speed with one hand.

Jim

Comment

• lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

Hmm. Well it sure seems difficult to control to me but then the noise is not that bad in my opinion either. Oh well. Thanks for the reply Jim.

Comment

• steve-u
            Established Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Bartlett, Ill.
            • Ryobi BT 3100

My Makita is not that hard to control. Try buying a Bosch from somewhere where you can return it if it does not work the way you want.

Steve

Comment

• mikel
              Established Member
              • Jul 2006
              • philadelphia
              • bt 3100

I have a PC random orbit that keeps breaking. It is the 5 " angle grinder looking one. It gets real hard to control. I send it back to PC they fix for free and all is well for few months them it breaks again. I just bought a new smaller stand up PC RO 5" and works great.

Maybe yours is broke.

...m

Comment

• lcm1947
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Austin, Texas
                • BT 3100-1

Thanks guys. Well I am thinking about trying a Bosch actually but would hate to take it back so would probably just be out the $50.00 that I spent on the Rigid and keep it. I don't think HD would take it back since it's about a year old. Bummer!

Comment

Working...