• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Wixey Digital Planer Guage...Sweet

Got mine installed about a week ago but just got to use it this weekend. What a treat. Had milled some boards for some of the trim I'm doing and found that I needed another piece. Before the Wixey this would have been a trial and error exercise, plane, measure, plane, measure, etc., till I went a bit to far and had to start over. With the Wixey it was quick and easy. Plane to a close measurement then set it for the desired thickness. Knew it was right but just had to measure. Came in at .001 from the setting as measured on my hf digital calipers.
    For anyone on the fence about getting one of these just do it. You' only regret will be not doing it sooner.
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

If anyone is interested in one, I'm selling mine for $45 - I just never found it very useful for me on my planer. PM if interested.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

I installed on my Delta 15" jointer and love it.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

A while ago, I bought one for my Dewalt 735. Sent it back the next day, never tried to install it. It just didn't seem to be a great device, in fact I found the design a bit "Rube Goldbergish".

Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
          It just didn't seem to be a great device, in fact I found the design a bit "Rube Goldbergish".

Bruce
          To each his own. I find it well executed and a piece of machinery that substantially cuts down set up time. I planed about 400 bf today and I can't imagine how much time I saved in addition to the dead on accuracy of my stock. I was frequently switching from 3/4 to 4/4 to 5/4 to 6/4 and increments inbetween.

Do you just depend on the indicator on the DW735?

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Jeff,

I never took too much stock (no pun intended) in the stop or the gage on the 735, until today, I found that the stop was right on. Prior to that, I spent way too much time with a caliper constantly checking on how much wood I removed and had left to remove.

I guess that we have differing opinions about the Wixley. Sorry, if I ruffled your feathers.

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
              Jeff,

I never took too much stock (no pun intended) in the stop or the gage on the 735, until today, I found that the stop was right on. Prior to that, I spent way too much time with a caliper constantly checking on how much wood I removed and had left to remove.

I guess that we have differing opinions about the Wixley. Sorry, if I ruffled your feathers.

Bruce
              No, ruffled feathers at all! I guess the 15" 4 post planers aren't as accurate.

Comment

Working...