• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

Grip-tite

Anyone use the grip-tite featherboard? The video makes it look very tempting. But I'm not sure I want to spend $40 for a featherboard. Unless you can persuade me.
    Last edited by p8ntblr; 04-19-2007, 01:18 AM.
    -Paul
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

I looked at those a few weeks ago, comparing them to this one:

I decided on the magswitch one. I haven't used the grip-tite so I'm not saying it isn't good. The local WC owner invited me to take the Magswitch home and try it and bring it back if I wanted, I kept it.
    I have to admit, the grip-tite video bothers me. Showing pushing stock through a TS without having hands on it just isn't right to me.

Comment

• big tim
      • Mar 2006
      • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
      • SawStop PCS

No good on a BT3!

Tim
      Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Rob3100
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2005
        • New Braunfels, TX, USA.
        • BT3100

I watched the Grip-tite video and I've got to say that I'm suspucious. It seems to change any table saw into the greatest thing every and you can now make any cut you want with barely a push. Oh, and it ain't gonna grab onto my aluminum saw.

Comment

• GaryA
          Established Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Tampa, FL, USA.

Originally posted by Ken Massingale

I decided on the magswitch one. I haven't used the grip-tite so I'm not saying it isn't good. The local WC owner invited me to take the Magswitch home and try it and bring it back if I wanted, I kept it.
          I have to admit, the grip-tite video bothers me. Showing pushing stock through a TS without having hands on it just isn't right to me.
          Ken (or anyone that has the Magswitch) - are you still liking these? This seems like a great design...
          Gary

Comment

• p8ntblr
            • Jan 2007
            • So Cal
            • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by Ken Massingale

Ken did you get the vertical attachment (letter C in the pic) as well? I did, and noticed that knobs that hold it to the magswitch were replaced by wing-nuts. In the pic on the bag it had knobs also. Is this what you got as well? Should I even bother going back and exchanging it or is it not a big deal?

Btw, seems like a great product so far. I've got both the grip-tite and these and I like these better. Easier to take on and off (because it has a switch) and it seems to hold the pieces a little more securely. Maybe if I get the rollers for the grip-tite they may work just as well.
            -Paul

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by p8ntblr
              Ken did you get the vertical attachment (letter C in the pic) as well? I did, and noticed that knobs that hold it to the magswitch were replaced by wing-nuts. In the pic on the bag it had knobs also. Is this what you got as well? Should I even bother going back and exchanging it or is it not a big deal?

Btw, seems like a great product so far. I've got both the grip-tite and these and I like these better. Easier to take on and off (because it has a switch) and it seems to hold the pieces a little more securely. Maybe if I get the rollers for the grip-tite they may work just as well.
              Paul,
              Yes I did and it has the knobs. I'm still liking it as well. Quick to apply means it is used more often.

Sorry I didn't reply to your question, Gary. I missed checking back on this thread.

Comment

• gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Bayfield Co., WI

I'm a little confused...are the ones in the picture the magswitch ones or something else?

I've read this thread at least four times and I still can't tell from the way the original post and followups are worded.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by gwyneth
                  I'm a little confused...are the ones in the picture the magswitch ones or something else?

I've read this thread at least four times and I still can't tell from the way the original post and followups are worded.
                  Gwyneth, the pic is the Magswitch.

Paul, I remembered incorrectly. My number C has wingnuts also.

Comment

• p8ntblr
                    • Jan 2007
                    • So Cal
                    • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by gwyneth

Yah those are the magswitches in the pic. A- I believe is the standard one. B- is the pro version (stronger magnets). C - is the vertical attachment. D- not sure of the name but I believe you use in jointers or the Table saw fence.
                    -Paul

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

I am not going to attempt to persuade you, but I will say that the Grip-Tite featherboards (being part of a larger system) are excellent. I have not had an opportunity to use the magnet based ones that Kens points out that are based upon a more traditional design.

The video is over the top. . . "Even this WOMAN in a pink sweater can do it" kind of silly video. The product is excellent though.

Comment

• allen
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Florida.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                        I am not going to attempt to persuade you, but I will say that the Grip-Tite featherboards (being part of a larger system) are excellent.
                        I totally agree.

Comment

Working...