• Show
Clear All
  • 180x
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • North Augusta, SC
    • Craftsman 21829

Mobile base for Ridgid jointer

I'm looking to add a mobile base for the Ridgid JP 610 jointer. Any recommendations of good ones and any to shy away from?
    Dwayne
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

I went with one of these from Rockler when they were on sale ....

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383

I made mine wider than the base of the jointer, so that the jointer "sits front" to alleviate any tendency to tip backward. I then cut small blocks to wedge between the jointer and the inside of the mobile base so that it couldn't shift.

Works great, wish I would had done it LONG before I did.
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• axa
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007

Am I wrong or is not at least 2 wheels of this base, always in contact with the floor?
      Not that I havent built rigid structures from wood, but doesn't the combination of these 2 effect machine vibration/movement?

Ive seen the square bases that would require either locking the casters or bending down to screw the wheels up.

But then I came across these Ridgid Herc-u-lifts on clearance at HD for $8.70!!!
      I have a dozen of them.

So no trouble cutting up 2 to make this base form my jointer.
      Easy to engage and the machine sits on its own feet.

The jp610 I think is the only Ridgid tool that can not fit the lift with out some modification as well.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by axa; 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by axa
        Am I wrong or is not at least 2 wheels of this base, always in contact with the floor?
        That's true; but I have the essentially identical Delta MB under my Grizzly G0555 band saw. With the lift-able end of the base down on the floor, sitting on the pads, it's rock solid. The two wheels at the other end don't swivel like casters, which makes that end of the MB quite stable.
        Larry

Comment

• 180x
          Established Member
          • Dec 2006
          • North Augusta, SC
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Thom2
          I made mine wider than the base of the jointer, so that the jointer "sits front" to alleviate any tendency to tip backward. I then cut small blocks to wedge between the jointer and the inside of the mobile base so that it couldn't shift.

Works great, wish I would had done it LONG before I did.
          I'm not quite sure I understand what you're describing. Can you take a picture of it so I can see it, please?
          Dwayne

Comment

• Tundra_Man
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

I've got the cheapest HTC base under my Ridgid jointer with no problems. I've also got the same base under four other tools and haven't had any stability issues.
            Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• sacherjj
              Not Your Average Joe
              • Dec 2005
              • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I'm planning on making a fliptop cart for my Planner and will be using that herc-u-lift for the Jointer. Here is a thread about it.
              Joe Sacher

Comment

• axa
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sacherjj
                I'm planning on making a fliptop cart for my Planner and will be using that herc-u-lift for the Jointer. Here is a thread about it.
                Seems to work.
                Though engaging the lift or rather disengaging will be a bit awkward not having open access to the side of the stand.

Comment

Working...