• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

Craftsman TS questions

I was complaining last week that I couldn't get my unifence to work with my Ridgid Saw because of the webbed wings. I got suggestions from buying an aftermarket wing, using melamine and router table. But obviously the best fix was to buy a new saw. Actually I was looking on ebay and CL for wings and came upon a guy selling his 22114 for $375 so I decided to go with that. He also had a nice Craftsman brand mobile base. I really like the fence that comes with it, especially the micro adjustment and sliding bar. The thing was so darn heavy that we had to take the wings along with rails off to be able to lift up. I really need to start working out again.

So now I'm debating on whether to use the Unifence or re-install the stock fence and sell the unifence. Will the unifence install easily or will I have to drill extra holes? Will I have to figure out a different way to mount the switch?

I also like the stock miter gauge but already ordered the V27. Just found out it's shipped today. That thing was on hold waiting to be shipped for over 2 weeks and as soon as I see the deal for the 1000se, they decide to ship it. Go figure. Also would the miter gauge fence/ clamp work with the v27?

If you have the unifence, v27and 22114 do you think it's worth installing the aftermarket parts or stick with stock?

If I decide I want to sell the stock miter gauge and fence and rails what would be a fair price?
    Last edited by p8ntblr; 04-05-2007, 04:56 PM.
    -Paul
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I think the Unifence is typically considered an upgrade to the stock fence on the 22114. That doesn't mean you can't prefer the stock fence. Go with whichever one you like best. The Unifence will likely require some drilling, but cast iron drills nicely and shouldn't be an issue.

The Incra should be more accurate than the stock miter gauge, but the stock gauge has a nice fence and clamp system...maybe you can find a way to use the fence and/or clamp on the V27.

I've seen the fences go on Ebay in the $75-$100 range...but that was before the Delta T2 was available on sale for $128, which may lower the market value on the 22114's stock fence. Which ever fence you choose, consider sliding it a bit to the right for more rip capacity....I've never needed to cut anything on the left side of the blade.

I sold the miter gauge and clamp from my 22124 (minus the fence) for ~ $30 on Ebay.

Good luck with the new saw.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Habe
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

I have the 22114 also and the fence is one of the things that I like about it over the 22124 bessie clone fence. Very nice saw and will pass the nickle test.
      Habe

Comment

• p8ntblr
        • Jan 2007
        • So Cal
        • Craftsman 22114

Do you think mounting the switch on the unifence rails will be difficult?
        -Paul

Comment

• p8ntblr
          • Jan 2007
          • So Cal
          • Craftsman 22114

As I said I took the wing and rails apart to move. So I started to put it back together (using the stock rails for now) and I can't tell where one part goes. I checked the manual but can't seem to find it. If you know what it and where it goes and have the manual handy can you tell me what page it's on. Sorry if the answer is totally obvious.

Here's the part...

*** EDIT: Nevermind, I must be blind. It's the rear rail connector ***
          Attached Files
          Last edited by p8ntblr; 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM.
          -Paul

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

22114 Fence

I also have the 22114. The stock fence seems to work well for me so unless it breaks or ??? I can't see replacing it. Seems you are in a good position as you have two fences. I would just go with the best fence, sell the other and not look back. I had the same issue with the V-27 as you, tried to cancel in order to get the 1000, but couldn't as it was in the packing/shipping process.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• p8ntblr
              • Jan 2007
              • So Cal
              • Craftsman 22114

I'm leaning towards using the Unifence. My only concern is that I need the saw mobile. Can I take the legs off temporarily to move it. Are the legs used only as support for cutting or does it also support the weight of the rails? I'm concerned this will cause too much strain to the right side and cause the rails to bend?
              -Paul

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

Removing Legs?

I am not sure I fully understand your question but assuming some things, here goes.. The saw comes with no wings or rails or legs attached. I would not risk lifting the saw by its fence rails or by the wings. The procedure to put the saw together from the packing crate is: (short version).

1. Uncrate and remove all the boxes
                2. Lift the saw and turn it upside down on the floor.
                3. Install the legs, braces and dust chute.
                4. Turn the saw right side up.
                5. Install CI wings.
                6. Install Fence rails.

So if you are condsidering removing the legs, I think it best to reverse the install so you don't risk warping or bending anything. Definitely at least a two man job.
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• p8ntblr
                  • Jan 2007
                  • So Cal
                  • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by ragswl4
                  I am not sure I fully understand your question
                  Sorry about that. When I say legs I'm talking about the legs of the extension table from the UNIFENCE not the table saw itself. I'm wondering..

1. Is it necessary to even install the Unifence extension table.
                  2. If it is necessary, does the legs from the extension table support the weight of the Unifence rails.
                  -Paul

Comment

Working...