• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Benchtop spindle sanders?

Been looking at these for a while and read the reviews. Had made up my mind on the Ridgid eb 4424 till I saw the Grizzley g0538. Around $50.00 difference but the ridgid has the belt sander. Got me to wondering how much and for what applications the belt is used? Is it an important addition?
    Thanks for any input.
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I probably use the belt more than the spindles, especially since the belt's roller can be used kind of like a spindle.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Miller
      I probably use the belt more than the spindles, especially since the belt's roller can be used kind of like a spindle.
      I definitely use the belt more than the spindles. Hard to quantify, but I'd say at least a 60-40 split. The belt attachment typically stays on and only comes off when I specifically need a spindle.

What other options you have in your shop could influence this, though. I don't own any other kind of benchtop sander, so I use the Ridgid's belt for stuff that might otherwise get done with a disc.
      Larry

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN

I thought this thread smelled stale!

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=27327

C'mon Steve, go get the Ridgid -- you know you'll love it!

Here's something else I do with mine (posted this some time ago):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chisel Jig.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	780682

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Good grief, I said almost exactly the same thing I said before. As did Tom. Bizarre.

Steve, I went and had a look at the Grizzly. FWIW and IMO and all that, I do think the Ridgid's belt is worth an extra $50. (Actually it's even less than that, given the current HD promotion: starting at $199, the exact price of the EB4424, you get a $35 instant discount.)
          Larry

Comment

• scoly
            Established Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Ha Ha! Forgot all about that other thread. Got pretty much the same response that time. Thanks for bringing it up Tom.
            Guess your right. Time to get it. Will stop by hd on the way home and if they have one will carry it home.
            Thanks for all the replies.
            Steve
            It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Originally posted by scoly
              . Will stop by hd on the way home and if they have one will carry it home.
              No!! Not that pile of junk!!!

Just kidding. I have one and love it. And use it predominantly with the belt.

JR
              JR

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Love mine, and belt 90% of the time. Spindle comes out for bandsaw boxes mostly.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• scoly
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Did end up buying the sander. May be a bit before I get to use it but feels good knowing it's there and ready.
                  Tom,
                  Your sharpening jig looks interesting. How far do you go sharpening with it? Is it just to bring the chisels back from the dead?
                  Steve

Comment

• Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Twin Cities, MN

Originally posted by scoly
                    Did end up buying the sander. May be a bit before I get to use it but feels good knowing it's there and ready.
                    Tom,
                    Your sharpening jig looks interesting. How far do you go sharpening with it? Is it just to bring the chisels back from the dead?
                    Steve
                    Congrats on the OSS! Regarding the sharpening: I use it to form the main bevel using a somewhat worn 220 grit belt (which I don't use for wood anymore). Be careful to avoid overheating -- just as easy with a belt as a grinder -- I usually slide the chisel into the belt in 3 or 4 one-second "bursts", between checking my work.

Once this main bevel is formed, I go straight to a micro-bevel using sandpaper (Scary Sharp). After the micro-bevel starts looking like the main bevel, it's back to the OSS. In other words, any one chisel does not see the OSS very often.

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

• scoly
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Thanks for the little sharpening lesson. Will be using your pic for inspiration.
                      Steve

Comment

Working...