New Cordless Drill

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 4187
    • Lexington, SC.

    #16
    I think you will be happy with the Ryobi. I have an old DeWalt 9.6V that I still use and a B&D that I bought for the batteries to keep the DeWalt going but I like my Ryobi a lot better except for the weight. I used the Ryobi to put 1/2 inch holes in my boat trailer when I moved the axle. It would do 1-3 holes on a battery depending on how sharp the bit was (could have used your drill doctor). I was surprised a cordless could do this well on holes in steel. I have the little circular saw too. I agree with the comment that it drains a battery pretty fast but I still use it some.

    Jim

    Comment

    • Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • 2091
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

      #17
      Jim,

      Step bits are the best way to drill thick steel if its a cordless or corded drill... I use them to drill trailers, steel angle iron, etc.

      Comment

      • RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • 3136
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

        #18
        Lithium-Ion rules OK!
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

        Comment

        • Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • 2091
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

          #19
          Rod, BLAH!

          I've heard to much weird stuff to bother with the lithium-ion stuff so far. I could have picked up the Ridgid kit really cheap and passed.

          Comment

          • leehljp
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • 8803
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

            #20
            Congratulations. I love my Ryobi One + sets, especially the flashlight and impact driver. The flashlight is the best light I have had and the easiest to use and aim and stay where I want it to stay.

            The only thing that I do NOT like about the drill driver is the chuck. Not a big deal for most people but on occasion I use 1 mm and 1.5 mm bits and the Ryobi drill driver chuck won't close that small.

            I have a DD, ID, Flash Light in the States and here in Japan also. I also have the circular saw and the router in the States that was VERY handy in re-modeling the kitchen the last time I was home.
            Hank Lee

            Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

            Comment

            • siliconbauhaus
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2006
              • 925
              • hagerstown, md

              #21
              Hank,

              I'm sure this has been asked before....but what are you doing in Japan ?
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

              Comment

              • leehljp
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • 8803
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

                #22
                Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
                Hank,

                I'm sure this has been asked before....but what are you doing in Japan ?
                Baptist Missionary
                Hank Lee

                Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

                Comment

                • lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 380
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

                  #23
                  Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                  I have a local Cummins tool and was wondering about the 14.4 Ridgid drill, since I have the Ridgid impact driver.

                  My old Makita 9.6's are dying, and the clip that held the chuck key broke on the one with the keyed chuck. I will look for the PC since the price COULD be right, but mine tends to be a lot higher here (high rent location).

                  Anyone have a Ridgid?
                  I've got a BUNCH of Ridgid tools, but no cordless ones (yet!). However, with their Lifetime Warranty on batteries, Ridgid cordless sure seems like the way to go, IMHO ...

                  I own Ridgid router, oscillating spindle/belt sander, jointer, miter saw, belt sander. Oh yeah, one of their shop vacs, too.

                  Lee

                  Comment

                  • LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 4890
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

                    #24
                    Originally posted by lrr
                    I've got a BUNCH of Ridgid tools, but no cordless ones (yet!). However, with their Lifetime Warranty on batteries, Ridgid cordless sure seems like the way to go, IMHO ...

                    I own Ridgid router, oscillating spindle/belt sander, jointer, miter saw, belt sander. Oh yeah, one of their shop vacs, too.

                    This has been one of my hates, no lifetime service agreement on their refurbished (Cummin's tools) goods. If it's good enough to resell (hey they "fixed it" to their satisfaction, right? (not all returned tools have to have anything done, even someone who wants another brand, the return gets refurbed)) then it should be good enough to offer the service agreement on.

                    Still haven't picked one up, waiting to see if something comes in, and having to work a bunch extra the next bit. So for now, borrowing a few peoples I know, of various brands for a more hands on feel.
                    Last edited by LinuxRandal; 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

                    Comment

                    Working...