• Show
Clear All
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

$50 Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

I went and picked up this saw this morning from an ad I answered on CL. The guy that had it said he got it from his FIL but had no need to keep it as he and his family are moving out of state due to a job transfer. The saw is in relatively good condition but is in need of new table. There was no manual with the saw so as I am searching for one on-line and come across several posts about a recall (I think I remember seeing a thread about the recall on BT3 a while back).

If anyone has this saw and knows about the recall I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Also if you have the owners manual in pdf, would I be able to get a copy of it.

Model # 113.197751
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	790253
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Your saw is eligible for the upgrade.
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Hoover
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • USA.

Try this site out for your craftsman http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID=222
      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• lrr
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Fort Collins, Colorado
        • Ryobi BT-3100

If I understand it correctly, this is just a safety issue for adding a full blade guard after the fact, due to some complaints. If they can send you one, great, otherwise they are just giving you $100 to turn in your saw, basically! (And eliminate any future lawsuits). I do not think this is a product deficiency issue, or manufacturing defect type of recall.

I have a model similar to this, but probably a couple years older. The switch omn mine is near the motor, right above the pull handle. Your model has the switch out at the end of the arm.

I've had mine since 1976, put a new table top on it last year, and it has been the mainstay of my shop for years. I would not be without a RAS, and the blade guard they refer to is kind of like the blade guard on a table saw. It definitely adds a margin of safety, but a ton of common sense is equivalent. I've never cut myself on the RAS in 30 years. If you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. The most dangerous aspect of using an RAS is ripping, IMHO. With a TS, I never use it to rip anymore. But for crosscuts, it is almost all I use. I do have a CMS I use for miters and trim molding, but having all three saws in your shop is a great benefit, if you have the room.

If you ever need to put dadoes across a long board (such as the ends of a bookcase for a bunch of shelves), you will see how great the RAS is. Try sliding an 8 foot long 1X8 across a table saw to make a dozen dado cuts -- NOT EASY! With the RAS -- just cut, slide, cut, slide, ... (and you can see where your dado cut aligns since you cut them on the top of the board).

Hey, I'm just a RAS lover, I'll admit it! Check out the monster radial arm saws made by Original Saw Company. Awesome!

Last edited by lrr; 03-17-2007, 04:08 PM.
        Lee

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

nice bargain mate....I'm envious
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• Lee4847
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Canton, Oh
            • BT3100

I bought one used also and called Emerson about the recall. It is a different guard assy and NEW TOP. They give you new rails and top with the recall. While I had them on the phone I asked and they sent me a copy of the manual for free.

It took a while to set up correctly but it deffinately has use in the shop.

p.s. check the blade. If somone put a regular combination blade on it, get yourself a negative hook blade. It is one of the best safety tips I learned on this site.
            Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• Tanzer
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2007

Model # 113.197751

Manual still available from Sears ( $7.49 )
              Recall info located @ www.radialarmsawrecall.com.

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Double "ditto" what lrr said!!!! BTW, many of us now hate you because of your deal! LOL!!

Nice deal,
                Chiz
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• TheRic
                  • Jun 2004
                  • West Central Ohio
                  • bt3100

When you set it up, follow the the steps in ORDER!!! If you skip a step, or do one out of order you can have some serious problems. My dad had one, he skipped a step or two. Talk about some serious kickback!!! Us boys (20-35 at the time) didn't touch it!! We saw the advantages to use it, but it wasn't worth it, since it wasn't set up correctly!!
                  Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• scorrpio
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Don't buy manual from Sears. The place that sent me the recall kit also sent me a manual for free. The kit included a new blade guard with riving knife, pawls and such (which are really only needed for ripping), a new handle with a lever to raise the lower portion of the guard, and a new table/table supports. I got a very similar saw off ebay for $100, and I am very pleased with it - it sees a lot of work. I did mod the table heavily though - installed T-tracks for jigs and such, and threaded inserts so I can attach an easily replaced melamine top layer.

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

I have had a Sears Radial Arm saw for close to 40 years and it is still going stong. Have had to replace a few tops along the way but this is normal with a RAS.

Radial arms saws, like bandsaws, require careful set up. Getting the table in proper alignment to the blade can be a fussy and time consuming process. The manual goes through the required set up steps. As someone else pointed out, following the recommended set up sequence is very important. Double / triple check your alignment as each step is complete.

I see a fair number of radial arms saws for sale on the NJ Craigs list. It a good place to look for one. You did very well on the price.

Comment

Working...