HF Bandsaw First impressions

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Crash2510
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 830
    • North Central Ohio

    #1

    HF Bandsaw First impressions

    I recently bought the Hf 14" bandsaw, as many of you know. I figured I would share what I have seen so far.

    I bought the 4 speed bandsaw for less than $200 dollars. Thanks Ken for the coupon. I set it up (holy crap this thing is heavy) in a couple of hours.

    1)The directions were crap so I just put it together how I thought it should be put together, suprisingly no extra parts. I was also suprised to see that the fit and finish of my saw was better than could be expected.

    2)Blade was not great, but it will do until some new timberwolfs and riser kit from grizzly arrive.

    3)Wheels were coplanar and only a tiny adjustment had to be made to get the blade tracking correctly.

    4)Guide blocks work nicely, but will probably wear quickly

    5)There was a little vibration( wouldn't pass nickel test) so I took the advice of this forum and ordered a link belt (green one from Harbor Freight). It arrived only a week after ordering(today). I installed it today and at your guys' advice converted it to a single speed (reverse motor pulley, remove second pulley, and take belt directly from motor pulley to saw drive pulley). I was amazed at the difference this made in vibration and noise. I can roll nickels around it all day and probably balance a dime (saw only had a little vibration before, but now almost 0.)

    6) Saw blade tensioner is a PITA knucklbuster, but it works for now and I didn't expect to get all of the ammenities for such a cheap saw (cheap as in price, not quality)

    7)Dust collection is ok but not great most likely will need to cut in a larger dust port (4" probably) also might be beneficial to put a tire brush on.

    8)Motor is a 1hp motor and runs very smothly and quietly.

    9)base is pain to put together, but is pretty solid (I am currently building a mobile base, which is a necessity IMHO)

    My next upgrades will be a riser block, timberwolf blades, cool blocks, and maybe some kind of quick detensioner (will probably see me asking about this in the future.)

    I have to say I was farely impressed with this bandsaw. It may not have all of the features of the more expensive saw, but for the price these extra features can easily be added. The price after adding these will still come in lower than many of the other so called high end bandsaws (probably made in the same Taiwan factory). All in all I am very happy with my purchase and thank everybody on the forum for their advice.
    Phil In Ohio
    The basement woodworker
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 3862
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

    #2
    You'll enjoy it, Phil. I do admit I haven't gotten mine to pass a nickel test yet, I have a problem with the mobile base that I plan to fix this week.
    Bill Esposito a Woodnet member posted a nice shopmade detensioner that was published in Woodsmith. I have an electronic copy if you can't find it on Woodnet.

    For easier adjustment I replaced the stock one with threaded rod and a square nut from Lowes or HD. I cut it long enough to go above the top of the BS and bent a 90 handle on the end. A dowel on the end makes a handle.
    Enjoy.

    Comment

    • JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • 5636
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

      #3
      Originally posted by Ken Massingale
      For easier adjustment I replaced the stock one with threaded rod and a square nut from Lowes or HD. I cut it long enough to go above the top of the BS and bent a 90 handle on the end. A dowel on the end makes a handle.
      At Ken's suggestion I implemented a similar design. Works like a champ.

      JR
      JR

      Comment

      • jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 2638
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

        #4
        I put a Quick-Crank from Highland Woodworking on my 14" Ridgid. There's at least one thread in the forums that describes a shop-made crank.

        I wasn't prepared to spend over $150 for a Carter quick tensioning rig for the five seconds it takes to tension the blade or take the tension out.

        Comment

        • Cheeky
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 862
          • westchester cty, new york
          • Ridgid TS2400LS

          #5
          is the hf band saw still a good deal after all the modifications?
          Pete

          Comment

          • AlanWS
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • 257
            • Shorewood, WI.

            #6
            Originally posted by Cheeky
            is the hf band saw still a good deal after all the modifications?
            Absolutely. I'd estimate that the link belt cost me $15, the threaded rod for the long tension crank about $2.50, the riser block $35 + $10 for a different guidepost. The rest of my obsessive tweakings were done with scrap, except for the $13 for the two magnetic bases I used to make an adjustable crossbrace to get rid of the last bit of guidepost vibration. All told, it came to about $300.

            Blades matter. I think an HF bandsaw with a highland woodslicer or iturra bladerunner will cut better than an expensive saw with the blade my HF came with. Many if not most problems people have with bandsaws are actually problems with a blade.
            Alan

            Comment

            • Crash2510
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 830
              • North Central Ohio

              #7
              I would have to say with my limited experience that the hf is well worth the money without the upgrades and even better with the upgrades.

              my .02
              Phil In Ohio
              The basement woodworker

              Comment

              Working...