• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

First impressions - Holbren router bits

I received my set of 24 router bits today. You know, the ones for $20.00 delivered. Here's my initial impression:

The good:
    Obviously, the price
    Cutting edges were sharp
    Bits were lightly oiled, and came shipped with Silica dessicant
    Bearings seemed smooth

The bad:
    Storage box-not enough room between bits, and not well made
    The yellow coating was peeling on some bits
    Yellow coating made inspection of brazing difficult or impossible

The ugly:
    All bits had minor surface rust on the shanks

Final word:
    Although the surface rust on the shanks took a while to clean up, for me, it was a good buy. For someone whose time is worth more than mine (I'm retired), it might not be such a good buy because it took me an hour or so to clean up the shanks. Also, I don't know if others who bought the set had the same problems I did with rust. I have not used any of the bits yet, but I don't expect problems. 24 bits for $20.00 delivered is very hard to beat.

If anyone else would like to comment on this set of bits, please do!

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

I didn't buy the set, already have a couple of the same or larger. The rust on your shanks surprises me!! My sets had a fair amount of oil on them I remember taking them out and wiping them off before I used them.

Yea, the box is not the greatest, but I don't think it's that bad. The ones I bought were damaged. I still keep my bits in there boxes. I'm planning on making a storage area for my bits when I make a router table. I would rather have my money go toward router bits than storage. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I used some cheap 1/2" "Birch Ply" from the Borg to make a storage box. Drilling out 1/2" holes was tedious, but it works.

Comment

• bthere
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Alpharetta, GA

My set had no rust. The yellow coating on the bits was a little bit rough, although no peeling.

I didn't care for the box, but I move the bits into a storage drawer, anyway.

For $35, a pretty good deal. For the $20 price, including shipping, an excellent deal.

Comment

• parnelli
          • Aug 2004
          • bt3100

Originally posted by bthere
          My set had no rust. The yellow coating on the bits was a little bit rough, although no peeling.
          Mine just arrived- haven't had time to try them out yet, but no rust here either. PLENTY of oil though....suppose better to have a lot then not enough on the boat over here.

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Bought both the 1/4" and 1/2" shank sets. No rust on either set. Agree that the box was not the best, but for $20.00, I didn't even expect a box.

Getting an additional 48 bits, added to the 30 - 40 I already have, prompted me to make a new bit holding device. We are in the process of refurbishing a kitchen in one of our rentals and ended up using one of the old cabinet bases with three drawers and made a pull out drawer for each shank size. Drilled holes and then labeled and organized each bit.

I was expecting to have more duplicates, but onlu ended up with a couple in each size.

All in all, I am totally happy with the $40.00 spent. Thanks again, Brian
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• gad5264
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Columbus, Ohio, USA
              • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Originally posted by jhart

All in all, I am totally happy with the $40.00 spent. Thanks again, Brian
              I have to second what jhart says.

I needed more bits like I needed another hole in my head, but a bargain is a bargain. I also bought two sets, a 1/4 inch set for a birthday present for my brother in law who is new to woodworking and the 1/2 inch set to keep in a small portable router table I am going to make.

Brian this is my first purchase from you and I know it will not be my last.
              Grant
              "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

I'm glad to hear nobody else had a rust problem on the shanks. Of course, I'm not glad I was the one to get it.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• justaguy
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2006
                  • Chesapeake VA

Originally posted by Ed62
                  I'm glad to hear nobody else had a rust problem on the shanks. Of course, I'm not glad I was the one to get it.

Ed
                  I Ordered 3 sets, 2 - 1/2 and 1 - 1/4. The 1/2 sets have light rust the 1/4 is fine.

Comment

• p8ntblr
                    • Jan 2007
                    • So Cal
                    • Craftsman 22114

Just got my 1/2 set today and it had rust on it as well. What did you guys use to clean it up?
                    -Paul

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                      • Dec 2006
                      • hagerstown, md

mine arrived yesterday....no rust and I dont think the box is that bad either.....now all I need to do is pick up my triton
                      パトリック
                      daiku woodworking
                      ^deshi^
                      neoshed

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Originally posted by p8ntblr
                        Just got my 1/2 set today and it had rust on it as well. What did you guys use to clean it up?
                        I just used 000 steel wool pads, and shot a little WD40 on lightly after rust removal (to be taken off before use). The rust came off fairly easy. I had 2 or 3 shanks that had almost no rust (very little), but the others were a little worse. Even with the rust, I think it was a steal for $20.00.

I can visualize hitting the cutting edges if I use the original box, so I'll be making something with more room between bits.

Edit: I should have mentioned that you should be careful when you clean the rust because the cutting edges are sharp. I used a leather glove to hold the bits while cleaning.

Ed
                        Last edited by Ed62; 03-13-2007, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Recieved my bits either Monday or Tuesday (didn't get home till late Tues). Very light rust floating in the oil on them. A tiny bit of flaking on the antistick coating, but could be where the bits were held when it was applied. Sharp and Great value.

Now the Blue bits I ordered (need several more styles, just need to wait), look like they have either been held to a higher standard (Brian mentioned the thicker carbide, but the coating seems more uniform and is better delineated from the carbide). No rust on those shanks. But the hinge on it had one sprung part (whoopie, these are the good bits, the yellow are the jobsite travelers).

My only problem, not enough money to spend there! (don't we all have that?)

Thanks Brian!
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• DonHo
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                            • Craftsman 21829

I received my bits today (Wed.) and found no rust at all and the box was ok also. I've bought bits from Brian before and have always been pleased with them. They may not be Whiteside quality but the whole set cost less than one Whitesides bit, I think you'd be hard pressed to find better value for the money.
                            DonHo
                            Don

Comment

Working...