• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlerwick
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • western Nebraska

Which 5" ROS

I currently own the Ryobi ROS 5" model. Much use and my hand is numb. I was wondering about the PC or the Ridgid models. For those of you who own these what are your thoughts? Is it half dozen of one or six of the other? Or do you think that one is significantly better than the other.
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

I can't comment on the Ridgid or the PC, but I do have the Bosch 1295 ROS and haven't had any numbing incidents. I like the way it handles, and seems to do an ok job in the dust collection department.

Here's a review:http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b1295DVSrvu.html
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

I'm very happy with my Ridgid VS 5" ROS. Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A recent test in Fine Woodworking Magazine named the Bosch as their Editor's Choice; it also won Best Value. See this thread for more.
        Larry

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I like the Bosch a lot. Much better than my Ryobi. Only issue I have with it is the square DC hookup. You have to buy an adapter to attach it to a shop vac.

Comment

• jziegler
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Salem, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Bosch and it's great, but after LONG sessions sanding (several hours), I still had that weird feeling in my hands. Since then, I have gottern these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...05&cat=1,42207

They seem to help somewhat. You might try them with your current sander before you get a new one.

Jim

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

I have (3) 1295s. I have had one for years. THe other two I bought about 6 months ago from Bosch CPO. They were "reconditioned" though they appeared brand new. Both Bosch CPO and Amazon sell the connector for attaching vac for around $5. Well worth the investment.

Comment

• bthere
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Alpharetta, GA

I have Bosch, and have used the Ridgid a fair amount. The Bosch is very nice, and I like the Ridgid is pretty well, also.

I've used PC a couple of times, but not enough to have a very definite opinion. It seemed ok.

Comment

• dlerwick
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2004
                  • western Nebraska

Which model?

Are all of you with the Bosch talking about the 1295 model or is it the 3725 model? There is about $40-$50 difference in the two.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by dlerwick
                    Are all of you with the Bosch talking about the 1295 model or is it the 3725 model? There is about $40-$50 difference in the two.
                    The comparison test was for the 1295. I assume others are discussing same.

Comment

• jseklund
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006

I got a bosch 1295 for christmas. It is AWESOME. If I was looking for a 5" sander, this is the one I would buy. $60-80 depending on the day, and it works as well as any other and probably better. The ridgid, based on my research would be tied for second choice with the DeWalt. The PC didn't seem to get great reviews. The Dewalt seems a lot less popular, but the few who use it are happy. Ridgid's 6" is made by metabo- not sure about the 5". I would definately look at the Ridgid/Metabo for a 6" model along with the Bosch.
                      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• ragswl4
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Winchester, Ca
                        • C-Man 22114

Bosch 1295

I have the Bosch and it works very good for me. I don't have experience with any others. I bought it solely on the FWW review and test. All sanding is done outside while wearing a mask, no dust collection issues for me. I final sand using 400 grit with this sander and smooth as silk.
                        RAGS
                        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                        sigpic

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by jseklund
                          I got a bosch 1295 for christmas. It is AWESOME. If I was looking for a 5" sander, this is the one I would buy. $60-80 depending on the day, and it works as well as any other and probably better. The ridgid, based on my research would be tied for second choice with the DeWalt. The PC didn't seem to get great reviews. The Dewalt seems a lot less popular, but the few who use it are happy. Ridgid's 6" is made by metabo- not sure about the 5". I would definately look at the Ridgid/Metabo for a 6" model along with the Bosch.
                          The new Ridgid 6" is not made by Metabo. It is made in China.

Comment

• gordons
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I do a lot of sanding not just raw wood, but on stained, painted, varnished and other similar surfaces. Burnt out the Ryobi ROS in no time flat.

I purchased a Bosch jigsaw some time back when they had a promo with a free 1295 ROS.

This sander is made in China, but it has taken pretty much everything that I have thrown at it. I do blow it out regularly after each use. Find the dust collection cassette system adequate. I would say that it collects about 60&#37; - 70% of the dust. Vacuum system would be better I'm sure especially if you are working indoors. Otherwise, an excellent tool. You won't be sorry if you get one.

Just as an aside, I use Klingspor sanding pads and find them to be not only cheaper, but also superior in durability to Norton 3X or 3M.

Klingspor are now selling a 5" ROS for $60. See here: http://www.klingspor.com/products/dvs.htm

When I first saw it and it's remakable resemblance to the Bosch, I queried it with them and they admitted that it is indeed the Bosch with different coloring.

Hope this helps.
                            Gordon
                            I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

Comment

Working...