Question about the GMC Planer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ryan.s
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 785
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

    #1

    Question about the GMC Planer

    Just picked up one of these when Amazon was having their sale on GMC stuff. I noticed that the front and back bases are not parallel with each other. I know it's kind of hard to tell from the pic but the front base is flat against the surface but the back base angles downward from the middle to the right. I played with the adjustment knob and am able to get the back base flat but then the front base becomes angled. Is this normal for the GMC planers or hand planers in general or do I have a defective unit? Also what does the "P" stand for on the adjustment knob?

    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
  • ryan.s
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 785
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

    #2
    Anyone else get the planer?

    Comment

    • gwyneth
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • 1134
      • Bayfield Co., WI

      #3
      I've had mine for about six months, I think it does a better job than my Bosch, and have never had any problems.

      It's difficult from the picture to tell if things are wrong.

      The back is supposed to be lower than the front...I am wondering if the clamping screws for the blades are slightly loose, but on further thought it may be related to the P question.

      My best guess for what P means is "Parallel", as in the parallel guide--I have not quite grasped the philosophy of the v grooves in front, chosen for depth aligning with the corner of the workpiece for chamfered and rabitted cuts, but you might have stumbled upon an obscure combination of sets and settings.

      With the depth dial set for the smallest cut, not P, what does it all look like? Could it be accidentally set too deep?

      Comment

      • ryan.s
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 785
        • So Cal
        • Ridgid TS3650

        #4
        Thanks for the reply Gweneth. I guess my question is are the two bases on your planer parallel to each other. I know it's hard to tell from the picture but the back base is angled while the front base is flat against the surface. If you have a chance can you place the planer on a flat surface and adjust the height of the front base so that both the front base and back base are completely flat against the table? Thanks.

        Comment

        • gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 1134
          • Bayfield Co., WI

          #5
          I'll do that after the afternoon rush...maybe take its picture.

          However, the front is always supposed to be at least a little higher than the back (which is supposed to be flat on the wood's surface) or you wouldn't achieve any planing.

          Comment

          • ryan.s
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 785
            • So Cal
            • Ridgid TS3650

            #6
            Thanks Gwyneth, I'd appreciate that.

            I do understand that the front should be higher for planing but I am assuming the two bases should be parallel whether one is higher or not, just like a jointer.

            Comment

            • ryan.s
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 785
              • So Cal
              • Ridgid TS3650

              #7
              Okay, I tried out the planer today for the first time and I'm sending it back for a replacement. It puts a smooth finish on the work piece but because the two bases are not parallel with each other it's causing the work piece to come out curved. I checked the workpiece before I planed it and it was flat. After planing with the GMC there is a noticeable curve. I guess you get what you pay for. Maybe I just got a bad unit. Will try for a replacement and see what happens.

              Comment

              • gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • 1134
                • Bayfield Co., WI

                #8
                I hope your replacement works better. I thought mine at seventy bucks or so was a great buy, mine works incredibly well, and I was irritated I missed the $19.95 price because I was thinking of getting another.

                Comment

                • ryan.s
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 785
                  • So Cal
                  • Ridgid TS3650

                  #9
                  Originally posted by gwyneth
                  I hope your replacement works better. I thought mine at seventy bucks or so was a great buy, mine works incredibly well, and I was irritated I missed the $19.95 price because I was thinking of getting another.
                  Hey Gwyneth, so are the bases on your planer parallel?

                  Comment

                  Working...