X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Craftsman Table Saw - recommendations?

What do you think about this TS? He's asking $95 for it? Anyone know what model it is?
    Attached Files
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

They had a few direct drive models, those are ones to avoid, and I can't tell from the picture if this is one, or a belt drive.

This could be an older Emerson that was upgraded with the later (name?) EXacta line fence (Ryobi made), or a Ryobi made saw, with that fence.

If it's a belt drive, and the motor works, Get a decent blade and I think you have a bargin, beginner saw. Normally one in that shape would go fairly quickly for $150 here.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The fence is probably worth $60-75. The leg stand another $25-$30 (has wheels), the switch $10, the miter gauge $10, the blade guard $15, the handwheels $5-10, etc., so I see it as a very good buy....an outboard motor will add another $60-$75 worth of parts value. The location of the switch suggests that it's a belt drive with an outboard induction motor (a good thing). For $95 initial investment, you can always resell and upgrade the fence and wings if you like. It does appear to have a cast iron table, and all the original parts are still there...a good sign.

Can't really tell from the pic, but if says "3hp", that claim is a "max developed HP", which is misleading. It's likely a very typical 15 amp, 1.5 hp induction motor. If it was built after 1997, it's made by Ryobi, who is now owned by TTI, and who now makes the very similar Ridgid 3650. If it's older than a '97, then it's an Emerson made in the US. The serial number will start with "113" if it's Emerson. I think Ryobi is "315" or "352" but am not certain.

Don't delay or it'll be gone! (just make sure it's in decent shape and that the goodies work)
      Last edited by Knottscott; 03-10-2007, 06:52 AM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

Craftsman saw

If this is a belt drive model and it runs well, definately worth the price. If it is a flex drive shaft model....leave it where it is....not worth too much.
        Looks like a decent saw, could be upgraded if needed and made into a really fine saw at a later time.

Comment

Working...