Dust Collection Setup to view

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • birdman
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • 11
    • Franktown, CO
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Dust Collection Setup to view

    If any of you want to see two dust collection setups please contact me via email or IM. My setup is in Franktown, CO and I have a neighbor, Tom, that would be glad to show and demonstrate these two Dust Collection setups to anyone. If you are not local and plan to visit Colorado anytime in the future feel free to contact me.

    My shop consists of a 2hp 220V single phase Woodsucker with Steel Cyclone, 13" steel impeller, 30gal collection barrel at bottom of cyclone which is all sitting outside the shop. I have installed 6" Snap-Lock pipe with metal tape sealing all joints going everywhere in the shop along the ceiling, Sammy Screws & Loop Hangers to hold up the pipe (really slick), 6" Spiral Mfg Blast Gates (very heavy duty and serviceable), clear Flx-Thane (made by Flexaust) going all the way to each piece of equipment. I have one floor sweep installed (soon to be three) and this consists of a 6" run going down to the floor with a 90 Degree Register Box (12" x 4" x 6") installed at the floor. For every junction in the Snap-Lock pipe I use a blast gate attached to a "Y" (never use "T's") to keep air volume at it's max. I also have a Delta Ambient Air Cleaner installed in the shop which is capable of filtering all the air in my shop in about 6 minutes. My wood shop is 29' x 20'.

    My neighbors shop is much larger and he is a professional cabinet maker. It is basically a 3-car garage with very high ceilings. He has a 7hp Oneida, 3-phase, a couple hundred feet of Spiral Pipe (big bucks), several Jet Ambient Air Cleaners hanging from the ceiling, a spraying room for spraying lacquers which is all vented, and much more.

    A note on why you would want both a dust collection system and an ambient air cleaner. A dust collector (cyclone, bag type, shop vac,...) is to remove the dust from the saw/drill/sander... while in operation. The best cyclone money can buy can only remove at best 80% of the dust coming off the blade of a table saw. So that means the other 20% you are going to breath. The Ambient Air Cleaner filters the air you breath.

    I know many of you dream of doing what both of us do and that is work with wood for a living. I have many spreadsheet, dozens of saved emails, and lots of data I can share for those seriously interested in getting rid of the very unhealthy dust in your shop.

    Lastly, if you want to ensure the wife is on-board with you purchasing a dust collector start sharing information on how bad of a carcinogen dust is. There are many sources to get this data. Also, if you are in (or older) your mid to late 40's try to find one wood shop teacher you had in school. They are all dead! I was lucky, my wife is a nurse and one day she came running out to the shop while I was using the table saw for several consecutive hours, dust mask on, windows open, with the whole room clouded with dust and said "you need to read this article in my most recent medical journal". It was about how bad wood dust was for you and she made me go buy a Dust Collection System. One of the happiest days of my life!

    Pat Brodbent
    The Bird Man
    www.birdmanusa.com
    (I make all my own wood products)
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 4503
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

    #2
    Sounds impressive. I'll probably never set foot in CO in my life. So, you could take pictures and it would be just like being there. You already have a web site where you could host them. Post pics of your friend's setup, too.

    My dust collection is far more limited than yours. I have a 10" table saw, a router table w/ down-draft box, an Inca 8-5/8" jointer/planer, and a tiny Inca bandsaw, that are all serviced by a network made from 3" flexible plastic hose, wye's, and blast gates.

    The suction is provided by a 14-gallon Ridgid vac pulling through a home-made cyclone separator attached to a 10-gallon steel garbage can.

    The shop-vac has a HEPA filter, so nothing bigger than .3-micron should escape it. But with probably 1/10th your volume of air-flow, I don't capture as much as you do (more into the air).

    On the other hand, the shop-vac excels at stubborn situations like the router down-draft and the ROS. When I upgrade the basement shop some day I may get a real dust collector. But I have limited room and the current setup can be neatly tucked into and around tools.

    Look forward to some pics! And welcome to BT3Central!

    Comment

    • birdman
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007
      • 11
      • Franktown, CO
      • Ryobi BT3000

      #3
      Pictures only help with the design portion. Seeing a setup in operation and being able to test drive it is what helps from an operational/installation perspective. When I put in my system I only had a couple to see in my area and they were portable bag type units.

      I wish I would of found someone in my area that had a larger setup to go look at before I installed mine. It would of saved me at least ten trips to the hardware store.

      Someday if I get enough time to take/edit/process some quality pictures I will post them.

      Comment

      • cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • 4503
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

        #4
        Originally posted by birdman
        Pictures only help with the design portion. Seeing a setup in operation and being able to test drive it is what helps from an operational/installation perspective. When I put in my system I only had a couple to see in my area and they were portable bag type units.

        I wish I would of found someone in my area that had a larger setup to go look at before I installed mine. It would of saved me at least ten trips to the hardware store.

        Someday if I get enough time to take/edit/process some quality pictures I will post them.
        I agree. Pics would still be nice. But the ability for someone like me to go try-out someone else's dust collection would be great. I'd love to actually see how much dust is left on top of the table saw. I'd try smaller tool ports and compare air flow. That way I'd be able to see how to design my future system.

        Comment

        Working...