• Show
Clear All
  • rcp612
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
    • Bosch 4100-09

HF 16 speed drill press ???

The latest sale flyer has a 16 speed, 13" bench drill press for $149.99. Does anyone know anything about this unit? The model number is 38142-6vga,,,, I can't for the life of me, figure out how to attach a link to it.
    It seems like a good deal for a hobbyist, not a production shop. With an additional coupon this would be about the same price as the Delta and Craftsman 10" drill press only with a much wider speed range. Any info will be appreciated.
    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I have one. It is 42" tall and depending on how tall you are if you place it on a normal height workbench you might have trouble seeing the work piece. I made rolling cabinet for mine that has 3 drawers in it. I also added Incra drill press table. My biggest complaint is having to change belts to change speeds. I am 5-8 1/2 and see into the top of the drill press is a hassle but I don't change speed that often. If I did it again and I might, I will make the cabinet shorter to make it easier for me. At $149 it is a good price. It is big and heavy. No wobble very little vibration, mainly from the belts. You might want to consider the floor model of the same drill press. On mine there is about 24" from the chuck to the top of the base.

Tom

Comment

• tfm37
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2005

Drill Press

I have had that drill press for about a year now.Its as good as any of the other imports. I actually was impressed cause I had heard so much bad about HF. The only problem with mine is the two belts are each slightly short and I can't utilize the full speed range. I just don't change speed much. Mine was $139 with a coupon and I'd do it again.

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

13" Drill Press

I recently purchased the floor model of this DP. All the same except for the length of the post. I have only had it a week but I am quite satisfied with it. Only .002 runout at the chuck. Caught mine on sale for $149 locally as the store is moving + 30% off. Good deal. 12" Delta at Lowes is $349, could buy three of these guys for the same price and they are probably made in the same factory. Some HF stuff is OK, just don't buy Chicago Electric if you expect it to last. My opinion.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

Working...