double jointing, anyone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • 3338
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

    #1

    double jointing, anyone?

    I've heard of people removing the guard and face jointing 10" boards on a 6" jointer in 2 passes. Anyone actually try this? Beyond the obvious danger of removing the guard, is it safe?

    thoughts?

    I have a 6", considering an upgrade at some point, but really want a 10-12", at ~2k$ it's a hard choice.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 1559
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

    #2
    Never Did It

    I have never done that on my jointer. Some reasons:
    1. Dangerous.
    2. In one of those passes you will ge going the wrong way with the grain (depends on the type of wood, but you can get some large tearout on dense grainy woodswhen jointing into the grain).
    3. In theory, sounds easy but in practice I think you might have problems actually getting the board flat and even across its width with two passes.
    4. And finally, see No. 1.

    Removing safety devices is asking for trouble, IMO. While 99.9% of the folks who do never get hurt, you don't want to be in the small minority who do. As most woodworkers will attest, "I never saw it coming" when they were injured.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

    Comment

    • scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 1566
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

      #3
      I would not go beyond 8" jointer. Anything wider, rip in half on a ripping sled, mill each half, then glue them up.

      Comment

      • Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • 3822
        • York, PA, USA.
        • 22124

        #4
        I do it all the time. I built a small support stand that I can put next to the jointer which is level with the tables. This keeps the board relatively flat. I have an 8" and do 12"+ boards with no problem. Grizzly has the 12" for around $1500 and IMHO is the way to go.

        Comment

        • Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • 2417
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
          I do it all the time. I built a small support stand that I can put next to the jointer which is level with the tables. This keeps the board relatively flat. I have an 8" and do 12"+ boards with no problem. Grizzly has the 12" for around $1500 and IMHO is the way to go.
          Jeff -
          You say "relatively flat" can you get a good square edge joint after you do the face?
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

          "A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

          Comment

          • Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • 3822
            • York, PA, USA.
            • 22124

            #6
            Originally posted by Ken Weaver
            Jeff -
            You say "relatively flat" can you get a good square edge joint after you do the face?
            Edge joint is absolutely no problem.

            Comment

            • jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • 2638
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

              #7
              I think I'd rather glue up narrower boards into whatever width I need than face joint wider ones. Glueing up narrower boards avoids cupping and warping. If a wide piece moves, it is going to move a lot, or split.

              Comment

              • messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • 1495
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

                #8
                Originally posted by Ken Weaver
                Jeff -
                You say "relatively flat" can you get a good square edge joint after you do the face?
                -------------------------------------------
                I just hit the edge a few passes to give me a starting point and come back for the finish edge after I have got the faces how I want them with the planer.I don't even feel as it is dangerous as the blade is covered by the face of the board during most of the procedure.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

                Comment

                • Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 3152
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

                  #9
                  Yes and no.

                  I have removed the guard and face jointed part of a 10 inch wide board. Taking just shy of 1/4 off. Making a 6 inch wide rabbet.

                  Then I double stick tape a piece of 1/4 inch hardboard to what I just jointed.

                  Send it through the planer with the jointed/hardboard face down. Planing the top flat. The rollers won't tip it as long as the unjointed portion is shorter than the hardboard attached.

                  Remove the hardboard and plane the jointed side and viola. 10 inches wide, Flat and true.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

                  If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                  Comment

                  • Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • 2507
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Russianwolf
                    I have removed the guard and face jointed part of a 10 inch wide board. Taking just shy of 1/4 off. Making a 6 inch wide rabbet.

                    Then I double stick tape a piece of 1/4 inch hardboard to what I just jointed.
                    I take it your jointer has no rabbeting ledge? I had the hardest time wrapping my head around this technique, until I came to the conclusion that it can't be done (at least not in a straightforward way) with a rabbeting ledge.

                    Regards,
                    Tom

                    Comment

                    • Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 3152
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

                      #11
                      nope. no ledge on mine.

                      I can see where the ledge would get in the way and keep you from getting a flat rabbet.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

                      If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                      Comment

                      Working...