X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin_S
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Bandsaw - is this any good?

I have the opportunity to pick up a gently used Grizzly Model 1019Z 14" bandsaw for about $125-$150. I cannot find much in the way of information on this saw and am looking for opinions.

Thanks
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

A quick search turned up this:
    http://www.epinions.com/content_37885415044

I don't know anything about that saw but if in fact is in in good shape it's a lot of saw for the money.

Comment

• Mar 2004
      • Northern NJ, USA.
      • BT3100

Go to Grizz's website for manual

My take is that any 14" bandsaw in good condition for less than $150 is good. I also add that for it to be a grizzly is better. Not that grizzly is the best, but it is a good, solid product in my opinion.

As far as the 1019z BS, you can go to Grizzly's website and look under product manuals for the manual and parts list. You'll see that this was a "Z" series bandsaw. I've never owned a Z series product from grizzly, but it is usually their "higher end" product within a certain range, meaning that it might have a bigger motor or slightly more features than its non-Z counterpart. Also, my quick perusal of the manual shows that it looks strikingly similar to the current "Ultimate 14" Bandsaw", which is a very, very well rated product and of which I own and like. Of course, being older, the 1019z is likely missing certain things or have prior castings/designs of certain things the Ultiimate has, but so what. for $150 and in good condition, snap it up.

curt j.
      A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It's a typical Asian Delta clone and was reasonably well respected in it's day before the G0555 IIRC. The price looks really good if it's in decent shape.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• bthere
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Alpharetta, GA

Sounds like a very good price if the saw is in good shape. Make sure the motor is in good condition - starts well and runs smoothly. Take the belt off and look for vibration if you aren't sure it is in good shape. Also, take a straight edge and make sure the table is acceptably flat (when the pin is in place). Of course, there shouldn't be any structural damage to the castings. Just about everything else is cheap and easy to bring up to good working order.

Comment

• Bollox
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

I have a Grizzly 1019 (dont think its the "z" model). I love it. Its your typical Asian 14" bandsaw, but a lot nicer finish and detailing than say the HF. Takes all the generic accessories.
            I added the blade tension release mechanism from the 555 which is a nice mod.
            At that price I'd jump on it.
            Mike.

Comment

Working...