Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

3D CAD for woodworkers

Hi all,

I didn't see any obvious threads on this, so I thought I'd start one to see what people are using for design (and if they're using anything at all). I have some experience with a few CAD packages, but for a lot of projects I still just use old fashioned paper & pencil for work up a design.

I've been using a tool called Alibre Design, which is available in a free version that works with up to 10 or so parts. They recently came out with a version specifically for woodworkers that includes BOM and sheet layout software which looks pretty interesting (Alibre Design Workshop)

Google recently purchased SketchUp, which is also free. It's very cool to use and great for visualization, but I found it to be limiting when it came time to plan details.

Anyone else use CAD and have a favorite?
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • IBBugsy
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Allentown, PA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
    Google recently purchased SketchUp, which is also free. It's very cool to use and great for visualization, but I found it to be limiting when it came time to plan details.
    I agree. Just couldn't make it work the way I wanted for details. I used TurboCad a lot in the past for work and small stuff but got rid of it before I started wood working. What little I've done since I've been using Microsoft Visio since it's on my work computer but it isn't a strong detail program.
    Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
    "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• New Guy
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2006
      • Sierra Lakes golf course Fontana Ca
      • BT3100

Well I use Solidworks for all my design's. But the company I work for pays for it.

Comment

• ExYankee
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pleasant View, Tn.
        • BT3100-frankensaw

I’ve been using Pro/Engineer for 11 years and love it, but it cost more than a new car, so it’s my employers not mine, but still I find time to do most of my WW design on it. There is a student version that’s ‘only’ a few hundred bucks (or less if you stalk EBay) but all of your work and models will be incompatible with the “real’ version, but if you are working only for your own stuff it will work just fine. I have some of the BT3100 parts accurately modeled, rails, SMT etc if someone can use them, I cannot attach the IGS or STP files using the forum software but would be happy to email them if asked

exyankeeworkshop@gmail.com

That mail box is heavly spammed so put
        "BT3100 CADFILES"
        in the subject line pls.
        Attached Files
        John Dyer
        ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I don't use a 3-D program. The few that I've tried are either too expensive and/or are beyond my comprehension. Pretty sad I think since I've been using a computer for illustation purposes since the 80's.

As a professional Technical Illustrator, my first move from the drawing board was to Micrographx Designer. After a few years, I migrated Corel Draw. Corel bought out Micrographx several years ago but I still prefer the Corel package.

While a 3-D package may provide you with first-hand visualization of the end product, I've found that the traditional orthographic 2D view, with front, side and top view works best for laying out both the components and the overall assembly, at least for me. Not only does that aid in dimensioning, but also in cutting, and assembly. I do the design visualization in my head, and use Corel to build the components, assembly, and overall look to the final piece. Fitting the necessary components together illustrates the overall look and fit of the design and since I'm actually cutting and building the project on the computer, it's easy to see where any problem may be.

Basically, Corel provides a blank surface and you work up your drawing or illustration in almost the same manner as you would on the drawing board, using lines, circles, curves, etc.

CWS
          Last edited by cwsmith; 02-15-2007, 07:49 PM.
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

I actually started with Pro/Desktop -- the version of Pro/Engineer that used to be free. Then one day they said something to the effect of, "Sorry, no more free version. They one you have will last another year, and then you're SOL."

I thought it was a fantastic tool, but yanking the free version left a bad taste in my mouth...
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• burrellski
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Saint Joseph, MO.

another vote for solidworks. I've had the opportunity to use solidworks, solidedge, pro/e, mechanical desktop, and inventor and I still think solidworks is my favorite. I'd have to suggest Alibre for the money though. I use a modeling package almost daily and I still can't make Sketch-up do what I want. To painful to use IMO.

Comment

• mschrank
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Hood River, OR, USA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                I've been using Sketchup for a couple years, both for work (GIS) and for drawing WW plans. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about limitations when it comes to details. Unless the plans call for a lot of curves or angles, I've found SU to be very easy to draw fine details. And with a bit of practice, the curves & angles are possible as well.
                Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• IBBugsy
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Allentown, PA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by mschrank
                  I'm not sure I understand what you mean about limitations when it comes to details.
                  For me, the limitations isn't on the Sketchup side. It's on my side.

I'll try to explain. I can draw boards to certain dimensions but have trouble fitting them together on the screen. Alternatively, I started with a couple of boards with known dimensions and tried to connect them with to determine the dimensions of the other boards once put together. I think the ability to change your view of the objects just goofs me up visually. Sometimes I thought I had boards connected but when I zoomed in, they weren't. Anchoring points and connecting points just wasn't easy for me??

So I use 2 dimensional drawings in Visio and connect them in my mind.
                  Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
                  "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• ChrisD
                    • Dec 2004
                    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

No CAD, but I don't think I can live without Visio. I usually draw the front and side elevations for projects, but not before roughly sketching it out first on paper. Can't beat auto-dimensioning!
                    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by mschrank
                      I'm not sure I understand what you mean about [SketchUp] limitations when it comes to details.
                      For me it was difficult to define specific dimensions and curves. It could very well be that I didn't allow enough time to ramp up (basically an evening) -- it sounds like this type of thing should be easier than I experienced. Also, the user experience was just wildly different that anything I'd used before (grab a surface and "stretch" it). I couldn't quite get used to it.

I was designing some bookshelves with it and didn't quite know where to start. It was easy to stretch out a basic structure to plan out the right size, number of shelves, general proportions, etc., but when it came down to "how does this translate into sheet goods and lumber?" I was at a loss -- spending too much time making sure that all the boards were the appropriate dimensions and modeling the joinery.

Originally posted by cwsmith
                      After a few years, I migrated Corel Draw.
                      Excellent -- I started with Corel Draw in version 1.0 and I used it for all my original plans. I originally bought it because it came bundled with 100 or so fonts back when fonts cost an arm and a leg. When I got used to using it, it quickly became one of my favorites.

One of these days I'm going to reinstall Windows 3.1 (or was it 2.0?), break out the old Corel Draw floppies (5.25") and see if I can still get around in it.

Comment

• ebanks
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2003

I use autocad and autocad Inventor. Inventor is the 3d modeling package.
                        Both are very good pieces of software.

The inventor is very similar to solidworks.
                        It allows me to build seperate components then piece them together and look for mistakes. I can then layout the piece parts with dimensions, print, and take to the garage to build.
                        Eric

Comment

• WoodButcher26
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Dayton, OH

Another vote for CorelDraw, I've been using it for over 10 years with no issues. I'm getting ready to upgrade for the fourth time, lots of good features and incredibly powerful.

Kim
                          Measure it with a micrometer...
                          Mark it with a crayon...
                          Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• jewalsh2k
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Fairport, NY
                            • BT3100

I just started using SketchUp today to design a computer desk. Took a little while to get the hang of it (I'm not big on reading through user guides )) but I eventually got it to produce what I wanted. The one area I was having major difficulty was how to move or rotate pieces I had placed adjoining other pieces. I guess I need to read a bit more but the rotate tool was not very intuitive.

Here are a couple of exported PNGs showing the desk I designed (Please be gentle, first effort!) I plan to build this with poplar for the framing, mostly 1x3s with 2x2s for the legs which I will paint. I plan to use wall mounted brackets to support the rear of the desk and add a keyboard tray. Not sure what type of wood I will use for the top, probably some sort of veneer plywood, any recommendations? I was thinking something like 3/4" ply with a not too dark stain, not sa dark as cherry, more of a rose wood color.

Also, I've tried to design this so that when move the desk to our basement when (if!)we finish the basement I can break it down into 3 major pieces. If anyone wants the sketchup model file I'd be happy to share it.

Cheers,

John
                            Attached Files

Comment

• BizCoach
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Milford, CT.

I used to use Smart Draw (www.smartdraw.com) for 2D work. It's a cheap visio type program. Rather it used to be cheap. I just looked and the latest version goes for close to $200. I know I didn't pay that much.

Now I use Sketchup and love it. It takes a bit to get used to how to draw in 3D and how to switch between the different tools. But I found it much quicker than learning some CAD programs that I tried and failed to figure out.
                              www.CEOBootCamp.com
                              Tools to help you run your business better

Comment

Working...